A few weeks back we reported that TiVo support for automation service IFTTT was inbound, and enthusiasts would be able to integrate a whole new set of applets into their workflow. Well, that day has arrived, and the new applets even include limited Alexa and Google Home integration. Wiser heating systems have also received IFTTT integration. Read More
Given the thousands of press releases coming out of CES, we almost missed the news that your TiVo DVR/Set-top box will soon integrate in your smart home setup, almost regardless of which platform you've decided to delve into.
Over the next few months, TiVo will have an IFTTT channel with multiple applets to let you automate your TV watching based on other happenings around your house, such as turn on ESPN when you get home, pause when the doorbell rings, and so on. It will also have an Amazon Alexa skill as well as a Google Assistant app. The video below shows a few demos of features, but to be honest, I was left a little confused by the Google Home part of it. Read More
You don't have to know what DVR is to recognize the name TiVo, the company that became synonymous with the word. The company's products have allowed users to return to previous shows and watch them on their own schedule since long before Netflix and Hulu came around to help people cut the cord.
The TiVo Android app has grown a little dated over the years, but the company has invested some time rebuilding the software from the ground up. It's not material—it actually looks more like something from the Honeycomb era—but it's a nice sign of life after years of growing stagnant. Read More
TiVo customers are accustomed to convenience. That's the fundamental premise behind recording TV shows for later, after all. Sure, it sucks to miss a show because it came on during a time when you were busy, but that's more of an annoyance than a problem. The latest version of the Android app addresses a similar annoyance--being restricted to whichever room the big screen is in. After quite a wait, customers are now free to stream TiVo content and live TV directly to their mobile devices.
The app lets users switch back and forth between the TV and a phone with a single button press. Read More
Virgin Media TV customers in the UK, you can now watch your TiVo live television service or recorded programs on your Android device, anywhere! Anywhere with a WiFi connection, that is. Assuming that you've got a phone or tablet running Android 2.3 through 4.3, but not KitKat 4.4. Oh, and you can't be rooted. Have fun!
All kidding aside, there seem to be some serious issues with Virgin's new TV Anywhere app for Android, starting with the aforesaid KitKat support. Other early reviews are decrying the lack of support for older, non-TiVo Virgin DVRs and the rooted device restriction, which American football fans can probably sympathize with. Read More
Look, the TiVo apps may not be the best on the market (their 2.5 star ratings speak pretty loudly), but that hasn't stopped the team from putting together a generous new update for both the phone and tablet apps that brings support for Android 4.2, along with a handful of other new features.
Among those, the Away Mode functionality has been improved, giving users more control while they're on the go. Otherwise, tablet owners now have "a new browsing experience," which includes faster navigation from collection to collection and the ability to publish current authored collections directly to their tablet.
Otherwise, both phone and tablet users can take advantage of Android 4.2 support, as well as some other general bug fixes. Read More
Back in January, Tivo released its official Android app, but it was designed specifically for phones. Now, the company has released a version designed for tablets. With this fancy new remote control sorcery, you can do a number of things from your Android tablet, including:
- Browse the channel guide without interrupting the show you’re watching - View shows up to 14 days in advance
- Schedule TV show/movie recordings and ongoing (Season Pass®) recordings
- Browse your recorded shows list and play a show from the App
- Find exactly what you want to watch - Search across TV, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video & Blockbuster —and see integrated results on Demand to find what you are looking for
- Explore cast and crew while watching a show
- Comment about what you’re watching on Facebook or Twitter
- Use a TiVo remote control replica or our intuitive, gesture-based remote control
- Manage your ongoing (Season Pass®) recordings and your To-Do List
- Delete and reprioritize recordings for your favorite shows
- Instantly schedule, search and browse for shows while you’re away from home
And you get all of this digital magic or the low, low price of nothing. Read More
Along with a software update to the TiVo Premiere DVR, Margret Schmidt VP of TiVo User Experience tweeted the release of their first Android app:
This comes as great news to TiVo owners as it allows them to control their DVRs from the comfort of their Android 2.1+ phone or 7-inch tablet (the app description makes particular reference to "7-inch tablet").
The app looks to be a great first try with most of the features a TiVo user would want, including:
- Browse the channel guide and record shows without exiting the currently running programme
- View shows up to 14 days in advance
- Schedule and manage TV shows and movie recordings
- Search for content over your TV, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video & Blockbuster in an integrated view
- Explore information on the cast and crew of the current show
- Comment and share information about the show on Facebook and Twitter
- Use a TiVo remote control replica (but don't worry you won't have to use this interface as you can use the app's gesture based controls)
- Schedule, search, and browse content when you are away form your device
As expected, the app has garnered plenty of favourable reviews, however its rating is currently at 3.9 owing to a small number of 1 star reviews. Read More