I always have fun seeing which services are being added to IFTTT: it leads me to discover new products I'd never heard about, it makes me imagine scenarios for automations that I wouldn't have considered previously, and it reminds me of how much of our lives nowadays can be relegated to a server somewhere.
Over the past couple of weeks, 9 new channels have been added to IFTTT. I'd only heard of Hive before, but you may find something here that you've been anxiously waiting for and that's super popular in your environment. Here they are:
- SafeTrek, an app and service that can dispatch help (police, ambulance, fire truck) in an emergency
- Guardzilla, a security camera company with several models including a 360-deg HD indoor cam
- Hive Active Plug, a WiFi-connected smart plug
- iDrate, a smart garden watering controller
- Orion, the makers of Onyx, a connected walkie-talkie for teams
The first time we heard about Samsung's Orion chipset was back in September. Two months later, we're getting our first tantalizing glimpse at what will soon be packed into your favourite TouchWiz-running gadgets. ARMdevices' inimitable Charbax got a look at Samsung's demo boards at the ARM Techcon conference, and came away with some impressive performance details. While we knew most of these specs already from the original Samsung announcement, it's always nice to see it in the flesh, so to speak.
The demo board was shown running stock Froyo fairly smoothly, and was also outputting high definition video content with ease. Read More
Remember the Cortex-A9 we talked about just a few days ago - the one that can clock in at well over 2 GHz on a 28nm process? Turns out Samsung has had its eyes on that bad boy for a while - they've now announced a mobile CPU based on the architecture (one caveat, though - the chip is manufactured on a 45nm process).
The lack of a major die shrink may keep things running at a more reasonable clip (1 GHz), but the improved architecture still allows for huge improvements over today's tech. Namely:
- Dual 1 GHz A9 cores
- 64 KB data and instruction cache
- 1 MB L2 cache
- HDMI 1.3a
- Full 1080P video encode/decode at 30 fps
- Triple display controller
- Up to 5x the 3D graphics performance over previous Samsung processors
Further, it looks like we're looking at a fairly flexible chip here:
For design flexibility and system BOM cost reduction, Orion integrates a set of interfaces commonly used in mobile devices to configure various peripheral functionalities.