Google's Calendar app for Android just received an update, to version 201212060 (we're guessing the version numbers are date codes or something). The update adds a few new things.
First, you can now call a number or go to a location for an event directly from the notification for that event, as shown in the screenshots below. We figure this is just another example of Google's apps catching up with Android's rich notifications, introduced in 4.1. Read More
Google has just released the official Google Calendar app on the Play Store, to the joy of, well, probably everyone who isn't using a Nexus phone or a custom ROM. This is the same app you'll find in stock Android, packaged up and ready for individual consumption. This also means Google will be able to update the Calendar app directly from the Play Store, instead of in Android releases as part of the Google Apps package. Read More
Sports team calendars have been a long-time feature of Google Calendar. The ability to sync those calendars to mobile, however, has been absent equally as long. Until now, that is.
If you sync any sports calendars with your GCal, you now have the option to also sync those up on mobile. They should show up under the "calendars to display" menu - if not, make sure to refresh your calendars and check again. Read More
Search has always been a big part of Android, and for many things, Google's built-in solution works fine. If you're looking for a better way to search through your data in the cloud, look no further than CloudMagic. The app does take a bit of setup, but once you're in, CloudMagic assists you in digging through your data in a very compelling way.
Setting Up CloudMagic
CloudMagic does not just exist on your phone. Read More
You could continue to add events to your Google Calendar the old fashioned way, or you could use this super cool (and fun!) method of SMSing things to your GCal.
The process is so easy a caveman could do it, so follow along and you'll be one step closer to speaking (almost) directly to your calendar:
- Add GEvent (48368) to your contacts, name it “Magic Calendar”
- Click and hold the Search button to bring up Google Voice Search and say, “Text to Magic Calendar, Pick up kids 2pm at the Cliffs in Valhalla, New York” (or, you know, whatever event you want to schedule)
- Wait a bit… you should receive a confirmation text and it should show up on your Google Calendar
- Bring up event in your favorite calendar app or widget… click on the link for the location
- Click on bubble to check out Places and to get turn-by-turn directions from your free Google Navigation
- Extra credit – do the step #2 voice search hands-free using VLingo InCar
And that's it. Read More