Batteries overheat and when they do and there's no control system in place to shut the device down, the temperature keeps on rising and they explode. That's the sad story at the beginning of every news article that talks about exploding Samsungs and LGs and iPhones and other smartphones or Lithium-ion battery-powered gadgets. But Stanford researchers have been working on this problem and trying to come up with a way to solve it with the current battery technology that we have. They seem to have succeeded.
Using nanotechnology, they created a flexible film of spiky nickel particles coated with graphene
and (an atom-thick layer of carbon).