Like Netflix, Amazon has taken to creating more than a few original series, the most famous of which include The Grand Tour, Mozart in the Jungle, and The Man in the High Castle. One of the newest shows coming out of Amazon Studios is The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, which was released just over two months ago but has already won two Golden Globe Awards. To celebrate this, Amazon is making the show free to watch for several days, starting right now. It's too bad it's not watchable via Android TV.
Rachel Brosnahan of House of Cards fame is the lead actor. The show follows her character, who goes from upper-class housewife to stand-up comedian overnight. There's currently only one season with eight episodes, but at least one more season is planned. And given the show's success, we wouldn't be surprised to see more after that.
From Friday, January 12th at 12:01am local time (which it probably is for you by publishing time) to Monday, January 15th at 11:59pm local time, you'll be able to watch The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel for free. Each of the eight episodes comes in at between 45 and 60 minutes, so binging everything isn't as easy as you might imagine. That being said, you've got several days to do so, most of which count as weekend time. Get watching!
SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--(NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon today announced that in celebration of its two Golden Globe wins, it will make the Prime Original The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel available for free for everyone this weekend. Anyone can watch the series at no cost starting Friday, January 12 at 12:01am local time and concluding at 11:59pm local time Monday, January 15, using the Prime Video app for TVs, connected devices including the all-new Fire TV and mobile devices, or online at amazon.com/maisel. For a list of all Prime Video compatible devices visit www.amazon.com/howtostream.
New Yorkers are true fans of the series, which takes place in their hometown. Of the top 30 cities in the US, the place that streamed the most hours per customer of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel was New York City, followed by Portland and Seattle. More than half of US Prime members who completed the series finished within three days, and the most popular time to start the series was 9pm ET—making it the perfect series to stream over the holiday weekend ahead.
“Big kudos and congrats to Rachel for her first Golden Globe and to Amy for an outstanding first season,” said Greg Hart, Vice President of Prime Video. “We are excited for new viewers to join in the celebration and stream the series for free this weekend.”
Rachel Brosnahan (House of Cards) stars as Miriam “Midge” Maisel, a 1958 New York City woman who has everything she’s ever wanted—the perfect husband, two kids and an elegant Upper West Side apartment perfect for hosting Yom Kippur dinner. But when her life takes a surprise turn, she has to quickly decide what else she’s good at—and going from housewife to stand-up comic is a wild choice to everyone but her.
The series was created by Amy Sherman-Palladino and executive produced, written and directed by Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino. This past week, Sherman-Palladino was nominated for the prestigious Directors Guild of America (DGA) Award.
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel also stars Golden Globe winner and three-time Emmy winner Tony Shalhoub (Monk) as Midge’s father Abe Weissman, Alex Borstein (Family Guy) as Susie Meyerson, Michael Zegen (Boardwalk Empire) as Midge’s husband Joel Maisel and Marin Hinkle (Two and a Half Men) as Midge’s mother, Rose Weissman.
The series is available in 4K Ultra HD and High Dynamic Range on the all-new Fire TV as well as compatible smart TVs, set top boxes and game consoles. It is also available in HDR10+, a new open standard that leverages dynamic metadata to produce enhanced contrast and colors, on compatible Samsung smart TVs. Prime members can also download the series for offline viewing on iOS, Android and Fire devices at no additional cost.
About Prime Video
Prime Video is a premium on-demand entertainment service that offers customers the greatest choice in what to watch, and how to watch it. Prime Video is the only service that provides all of the following:
- Prime Video: Thousands of movies and TV shows, including popular licensed and self-published content plus critically-acclaimed and award-winning Prime Originals like The Grand Tour, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and The Tick, Amazon Original Movies such as Academy Award-winning Manchester by the Sea, The Big Sick and The Salesman and kids series, Tumble Leaf, available for unlimited streaming as part of an Amazon Prime membership. Prime Video is also now available to customers in more than 200 countries and territories around the globe at www.primevideo.com.
- Live Sports: Sporting events, including AVP volleyball and ATP tennis, are available to watch live on Prime Video in more than 200 countries and territories around the globe.
- Amazon Channels: Over 140 channel subscriptions that Prime members can add to their membership, including HBO, SHOWTIME, STARZ, Cinemax, PBS KIDS, Acorn TV and more. To view the full list of channels available, visit www.amazon.com/channels
- Rent or Own: Hundreds of thousands of titles, including new-release movies and current TV shows available for on-demand rental or purchase for all Amazon customers
- Instant Access: Instantly watch anytime, anywhere through the Amazon Video app on TVs, mobile devices, Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, and Fire tablets, or online. For a list of all compatible devices visit www.amazon.com/howtostream
- Premium Features: Top features like 4K Ultra HD, High Dynamic Range (HDR), X-Ray and mobile downloads for offline viewing of select content
Every Day Made Better with Prime
Prime was designed to make your life better every single day. Tens of millions of members around the world enjoy the many benefits of Prime. In the U.S. that includes unlimited access to award-winning movies and TV episodes with Prime Video; unlimited access to Prime Music, Audible Channels for Prime, Prime Reading, Prime Photos, Twitch Prime; early access to select Lightning Deals, one free pre-released book a month with Amazon First Reads, and more. Prime was built on the foundation of unlimited fast, free shipping and members receive unlimited Free Two-Day Shipping on more than 100 million items, Prime FREE One-Day Shipping and Prime FREE Same-Day Delivery in more than 8,000 cities and towns, and two-hour delivery with Prime Now in more than 30 major cities. Start a free trial of Amazon Prime at amazon.com/prime.