Any tabletop fanatic is going to be pretty familiar with popular board game publisher Asmodee Digital. They have produced digital versions of some of the most popular board games out there today. Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Mysterium, and Splendor are just a few of the high profile releases they have brought to Android, and it would appear that the ride isn't over yet. That's right, Asmodee Digital announced a slew of upcoming games at Gen Con that are either in development right now or are releasing sometime soon.
I would like to start with the four games that have a soft date set for their release. They are all either slated for a Q3 or Q4 release in 2017.
- First up, and the only one with a Q3 release, is Ticket to Ride: First Journey. It's a title intended more for younger audiences, which should give parents an easy way to introduce their kids to the wonders of strategic train-based route planning.
- Next up we have Carcassonne, which is scheduled for a Q4 release. Now I know what you are thinking, "Doesn't Carcassonne already have a game on Android?" Well, it actually does not. The older version you are thinking of has been pulled from the Play Store. Which leaves Asmodee Digital plenty of room to bring about a new release packed with plenty of new features, such as online multiplayer.
- Smash Up is the next game lined up for a Q4 release. Apparently, it's a multiplayer shuffle-building card game that utilizes eight different factions, which should allow for dozens of different combinations in your strategy of attack.
- And the last title with a soft date of release is Abalone, which should come to the Play Store sometime in Q4. It's a two-player marble-based strategy board game where players take turns pushing the marbles around the board, with the goal of pushing six of the opposing player's marbles off the board.
Sorry, no screens were provided for Abalone.
Next I would like to delve into the five games that are still under development and have yet to receive any type of release date.
- To begin we have Zombicide, a cooperative board game in which you take the role of a survivor and use your skills to find weapons, shoot zombies, gain experience, and customize your heroes: the more zombies you kill, the more they come.
- Unlike these other board games, I would say Bananagrams is more of a classic game, in the sense that it has roots as a Scrabble variant. Essentially you play this like a speed game of Scrabble, where it's your goal to arrange your tiles into a grid of connected words faster than your opponents.
- So far Scythe only has Steam listed as a release platform, I would hope the iOS icon included with the press kit signifies a mobile release is planned. If you are unfamiliar with the title, this is an engine-building game set in an alternate history of the 1920s. Your job is to conquer new territory, enlist recruits, reap resources, gain villagers, build structures, and activate large mechs.
- Development for Terraforming Mars mustn't be that far along, as there are no platforms announced yet. This is a tough board game to describe. Some compare it to a combination of the games Terra Mystica and Race for the Galaxy. Another way to phrase it would be that this is a card tableau/engine building euro game.
- And last we have Gloom. This is another title that still has no platforms announced for its release. It's a card game where you assume control of the fate of an eccentric family. Your goal is pretty simple, make sure that every character suffers the worst tragedies possible, all before you pass on through death's door.
Sorry no icon was provided for Gloom.
I have to admit, this is an impressive catalog that Asmodee Digital is building. Not only is it going to be nice to finally have a version of Carcassonne on Android that can be played online, but the upcoming releases for Bananagrams and Zombicide have me genuinely excited.
INDIANAPOLIS – Aug. 18, 2017 – Asmodee Digital, leaders in digital board game entertainment, today announced a lineup of new and upcoming games currently in development, slated for release in 2017 and 2018. With multiple titles appealing to casual and family audiences, and others geared toward board game enthusiasts, hardcore gamers and hobbyists, Asmodee Digital continues to appeal to a variety of players with top-quality digital iterations of some of the world’s most beloved tabletop games.
“We’ve been overwhelmed by fan support surrounding numerous releases thus far in 2017, and are thrilled to be bringing so many more great games to the digital realm this year and next,” said Asmodee Digital. “While the breadth of our catalog is certainly a point of pride, our biggest priority is devoting all resources - time, talent and otherwise - to creating quality gameplay experiences for each and every title. Our lineup is spaced out across the next two years to ensure this outcome.”
Ticket to Ride: First Journey (Days of Wonder) - Steam, Mac, iOS and Android - Q3 2017 - Introduces younger audiences to Ticket to Ride, one of Asmodee’s top-selling series, where players collect train cards, claim routes on the map, and try to connect the cities on their tickets.
Carcassonne (Z-Man Games) - Steam and Android - Q4 2017 - Multi-awarded tile-matching game made digital, including solo, pass-and-play and online multiplayer modes.
Smash Up (AEG) - Steam, iOS and Android - Q4 2017 - Shuffle-building card game for up to four players, featuring eight factions including pirates, ninja, robots, zombies, and more.
Abalone (FoxMind) - Steam - Q4 2017 - A beautiful, strategic marble game, awarded as a Mensa Select Winner, now being readied for multiplayer online play.
Catan Stories (Catan Studios) - iOS and Android - Q4 2017 - An all-new text adventure game based on the highly-acclaimed Catan board game.
Mille Bornes (Asmodee North America) - Steam, iOS and Android - Q4 2017 - Famous French card game where players compete to drive 1000 km, dealing with road hazards along the way
Zombicide (CMON) - Steam, iOS and Android - A collaborative game in which players take the role of a survivor and use their skills and teamwork against the unthinking undead! Find weapons, kill zombies, get skills. The only way out is zombicide!
Bananagrams (Bananagrams) - iOS and Android - Fast and frantic anagram game where players build crosswords without pen, paper or a board. Perfect for families, multiplayer or solitaire, and finally making its digital debut!
Scythe (Stonemaier Games) - Steam - An engine-building game set in an alternate-history 1920s period, where players attempt to earn fortune and claim their faction's stake in the land around a mysterious factory.
Terraforming Mars (Stronghold Games) - A Spiel des Jahres nominee set in the 2400s, players act as a corporation with the goal of advancing human infrastructure throughout the solar system. Soon digital fans will be able to help habitate Mars!
Gloom (Atlas Games) - Assume control of the fate of an eccentric family of misfits and misanthropes. The goal of the game is sad, but simple: make the characters suffer the greatest tragedies possible before passing on to the well-deserved respite of death.
Pathfinder Adventures (Paizo) - Steam, iOS and Android
Spot It! Duel (Asmodee North America) - iOS and Android
Jaipur (Asmodee North America) - iOS and Android
Onirim (Z-Man Games) - Steam, iOS and Android
For more information:
- Visit our website: www.asmodee-digital.com
- Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/asmodeedigital/
- Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/asmodeedigital
- Subscribe to us on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/asmodeedigital
- Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/asmodeedigital/
About Asmodee Digital
Asmodee Digital, a fully owned subsidiary of the Asmodee Group, is an international publisher and distributor of digital board games with operations located in Europe, North America, and China. Asmodee Digital manages the creation, design, development, publishing, and marketing of board and card games on leading digital platforms for Asmodee studios as well as for third-party publishers. The current Asmodee Digital catalog includes best-selling digital games such as Ticket to Ride, Splendor, Pandemic, Small World 2, Mr. Jack London, Lexigo Rush, Story Cubes, Colt Express, Mysterium, Potion Explosion, Onirim, Jaipur, Spot It! Duel and digital versions of many other well-known board games.