The Google My Maps app seemed ripe for discontinuation. It hadn't been updated in years, had an old UI, and the feature set wasn't exactly essential. However, Google has opted to rework it from the ground up and release a new version of My Maps. You can grab it from the Play Store and start making your own maps right now.
Here's the changelog for Google's My Maps redesign.
- Rebuilt from the ground up
- Experience the new look and feel
- Get started with our welcome guide for new users
- Work faster with improved performance
- View photos and videos added on web
- Get directions to saved points
- Explore Street View imagery for many places
My Maps is basically a way to keep track of places that are important to you. You can make custom maps using Google Maps data, drop pins wherever you want, add descriptions, and so on. The app is, of course, fully material now and has a slick little intro tutorial. The update is live in the Play Store for everyone—no staged rollout for this one.