- 1 Featured App
- 2 Apps
- 2.1 Chromer
- 2.2 FiLMiC Pro
- 2.3 Triller - Music Video Maker
- 2.4 KeyMe: Copy, Save, Share Keys
- 2.5 Microsoft Apps
- 2.6 Connections
- 2.7 Clipboard Actions
- 2.8 Large Heap App Detector
- 2.9 FoodMe - It's Tinder for Food
- 2.10 Avast Wi-Fi Finder
- 2.11 YouSing - the social karaoke
- 2.12 SportsLine
- 2.13 LumiKids Snow by Lumosity
- 3 Live Wallpapers
- 4 Know A Worthy New App? Let Us Know!
Welcome to the roundup of the best new Android applications, games, and live wallpapers that went live in the Play Store or were spotted by us in the previous 2 weeks or so.
Looking for the previous roundup editions? Find them here.
Today's roundup is presented by DigiCal Calendar & Widgets from Digibites. DigiCal is a complete calendar solution that integrates with Google Calendar, matching it feature-for-feature and then some. A wide selection of calendar views (agenda, day, week, month, text month, list) and great tablet compatibility means that your calendar will look great and be easy to use no matter what device you're using. DigiCal also includes a variety of widgets, all of which put the stock Google Calendar to shame, and integrated location search within the app. DigiCal even checks Google Now for travel and traffic time, letting you know when you'll need to leave to avoid being late. The standard DigiCal is free, but the $4.95 DigiCal+ includes month widgets, extra visual options, custom snooze options, and zero ads.
Our diary planner and organizer offers multiple calendar views, stylish calendar widgets and integrated worldwide weather forecast for quick and efficient scheduling on your phone and tablet.
DigiCal’s diary planner and organizer provides a clear and beautiful overview for your events and appointments.
• Conveniently switch between 7 calendar views (day, week, week agenda, month calendar, text month, year and list view in portrait and landscape mode).
• The slick dark theme allows for better visibility in low-light settings and night mode.
• Event keyword image matching available in all 27 languages.
• 6 highly customizable widgets with different theme styles and views: (FREE: list, day, day list, day grid widgets; PREMIUM: 2 extra widgets –text month and month calendar widget)
• Intuitive navigation between days, weeks and months with zoomable day and week view.
• Syncs across all devices and with all calendar servers that are supported on Android such as Google Calendar, Outlook.com and Exchange,
• For extra privacy, you can create local calendars that are not synchronized and is only accessible on your local device,
• Seamless event color sync with Google Calendar or choose DigiCal's pre-set colors for your events,
• Combined date & time picker for faster scheduling,
• Easily schedule an event across multiple time zones with date and time display in both local and foreign time zone,
• Faster address entry with Google Places Autocomplete,
• Instantly plan and reschedule with the cut, copy, paste function,
• Easily share events with friends and family,
• Manage invitations with RSVP and reply to organizer or all guests of an event,
• FREE 3-day local and worldwide weather outlook in all calendar views and widgets,
• Pop-up notifications with quick action buttons for snooze, map and navigation,
• Available in 27 languages.
Android Police coverage: Chromer Opens All Of Your Links In A Chrome Custom Tab
Chromer does just one thing: open every web link on your phone (every web link) in a self-contained Chrome Custom Tab. This keeps older apps from trying to open web content in a slow and inefficient Web View window, and keeps other apps and tools from clogging up your Chrome tabs. It's also a big help in that Chrome Custom Tabs have access to the usernames and passwords saved in Chrome.
Chromer allows you to use chrome custom tabs on your phone without requiring app developers to implement it manually. By doing so, you get a lighter, faster and secure browsing experience. You need any custom tab compatible browsers. As of now only Google Chrome 45 and greater supports custom tab, hence you need to have it installed to make any use of this app. You can install it here :
Android Police coverage: FiLMiC Pro Brings Advanced Manual Video Capture To Select Android Devices For $10
A year or two ago there was a spat of "manual" camera apps that brought DSLR-style controls for still photos, emboldened by much-improved smartphone camera sensors. This approach has been extended to video with FiLMiC Pro, which applies the same manual tinkering and advanced adjustments to video recording. It's pricey at $10, but well worth it if you're a semi-pro who wants better video performance without a dedicated camera.
FiLMiC Pro is the gold standard of mobile video and was recently used to film the Sundance hit “TANGERINE”. The 2x iOS Video Camera App of the Year, FiLMiC Pro has come to the Android platform. FiLMiC Pro turns your Android camera into a broadcast worthy High Definition video camera. Features include:
- Intuitive User Interface
- Standard, Manual and Hybrid shooting modes. A shooting style for whatever your level.
- Variable Speed Zoom
- Sync audio frame rates of 24, 25, 30, fps.
- Action Slider with extensive controls for live shooting adjustments
- Slow and Fast Motion FX options
- Adjust Video Settings After Capture (Exposure, Contrast, Saturation, Tint, Color Temperature)
- Customizable saved personal presets
- Aspect ratio framing guides
- Thirds guide for dynamic composition
- Optimized for Android 5.0 and later for devices that support Android Camera 2 API.
Triller - Music Video Maker
Triller is a video app that automatically creates a music video synced to a selected song. It is apparently quite popular with The Youths. Instagram-style filters for the video and extra audio effects are much in evidence. Obviously, easy sharing to all the social networks is included.
Drop a music video, anytime. Pick the perfect song for the moment and shoot a few takes, anywhere. With the tap of a button Triller edits them together to create a celebrity-quality music video starring you and your friends that looks like the ones your favorite artists produce.
Android Police coverage: KeyMe Launches On Android So You Can Easily Copy Your Keys, And Probably Keys That Aren't Yours Too
Here's a neat idea: keep a digital copy of all those important, easy-to-lose keys in your house. Then when you inevitably lose them, you can bring up the digital copy, print it out, and you're good to go. The process behind KeyMe isn't quite as convenient as, say, a home 3D printer, but it's a lot easier than calling a locksmith... at least if one of their kiosks is in a retailer near you.
Everyone loses their house keys - it's just a matter of time. KeyMe is a safe, smart and inexpensive solution to frustrating lockouts, and a convenient way to copy and share your keys. Simply scan your keys into the app and our software does the rest. You can print your keys at any of our automated kiosks nationwide, or get copies mailed to you.
Android Police coverage: [Yodawg] Microsoft Apps Is A New Android App To Help You Find And Download Other Microsoft Apps
Microsoft makes a lot of apps for Android. For example, this Android app is made by Microsoft. It is designed to help you download more apps, all of which are also made by Microsoft. Microsoft.
Microsoft Apps makes it easy to find the best apps from Microsoft available on your Android device. Browse Microsoft's extensive selection of apps across categories like Productivity, Education, Entertainment, Communication, News, and more.
• Browse all the apps from Microsoft on Android in one simple experience
• See what apps you already have installed; find new and popular downloads
• Browse by category
• More coming soon
Connections is a semi-automated app that gathers publicly-available information about the people you know (or at least the ones in your contact list). It's a Microsoft Garage project, but oddly it's only available in India at the moment - perhaps they're performing an extended rollout test.
Connections, a Microsoft Garage project, helps you better manage your relationship with your contacts - be it friends, family, customers, vendors or suppliers. It helps you capture and surface important information so that you can be organized and prepared.
★ Note down information you want to remember for a contact right after meeting or calling them
★ Set reminders for each contact so you get reminded with info on exactly whom to follow-up
★ View the last note even before answering someone's phone call
★ Categorize your contacts with tags for easy search
★ Add pictures from your phone gallery so you can have visual notes and reminders
Clipboard Actions is a set of tools that constantly monitors the text you copy into Android's clipboard. It includes a lot of the functions that similar apps have, like a link shortener or currency conversion, but the interface lives mostly in the notification bar. The list of included tools is quite long, so check it out if you need an alternative to something like Clipper.
Clipboard Actions creates actions based on your clipboard and shows them in the status bar as notification.
- Share images / videos: Download and share images and videos with just one touch
- Jump to previous clipboard entries.
- Link Shortener: Shorten Links with bit.ly with one click.
- QR Code: Copy any text and create a QR code to share it directly
- Define: Define a word right in the notification bar
- Currency Conversion: Convert any currency to any other, by using google
- Share: Any copied content can be shared by clicking on the notification
- Open Link: When detecting a link open it in the browser.
- Search: Search the copied text on google.
- Show on map: Copy an address an jump directly to the map.
- Translate: The translate action jumps right to Google translate and uses your preferred language.
- Email to: Filter email address and start to compose a new mail with the found address.
- Call: Filter a phone number and call it.
Large Heap App Detector
There's a developer tool in Android called Large Heap. Basically, it allows an app to request a truckload of RAM in order to allow for high-performance operations. A lot of apps use this tool as a sort of catch-all for memory problems - read: they're not written very well. This app allows users to see which apps request Large Heap; if the app isn't particularly complex or useful and it shows up on the Large Heap list, you might want to get rid of it.
A simple utility that shows you which app developers have declared
Applications that request Large Heap in the manifest are typically reducing user experience on the device. Per the developer docs:
"Most apps should not need this and should instead focus on reducing their overall memory usage for improved performance."
FoodMe - It's Tinder for Food
I've always found Tinder to be a bit disturbing, objectifying the opposite sex with its lightning-fast judgments. But it's OK to objectify food, because a meal is a collection of objects. This app shows you meals that can be delivered from local restaurants, allowing you to make a quick choice and payment among dozens of different options. Pretty neat.
Ordering food online sucks. First you have to pick a restaurant (without pictures), THEN you have to pick a dish (also without pictures), choose its options, factor in tax/tip, and try to get above the "delivery minimum." Did we mention there are no pictures? Not anymore. FoodMe shows you full meals, one at a time, with PICTURES, with tax/tip included in the price and no delivery minimums or options to worry about.
Avast Wi-Fi Finder
This app is a repository of free, publicly-availably Wi-Fi hotspots around the world. It's not the first app to do this, but it comes from Avast (the anti-virus people) with considerably improved design and at least some dedication towards maintaining the database. If you're travelling and you'd like to cut down on roaming data, you might want to download it before you start boarding.
People are used to being connected to secure and fast home or work cable networks, and we expect to the same of our mobile devices everywhere we go. But it doesn’t have to always be the case as mobile data plans have limitations. With Avast Wi-Fi Finder you can connect for free to public Wi-Fi everywhere you go. We are introducing Avast Wi-Fi Finder for those seeking a free, fast, reliable, and secure Wi-Fi connection.
I have to admit, I tend to make a beeline for the exit whenever the bar starts karaoke night, so I don't understand the appeal of an app that shares karaoke performances in a quasi-social network. And doesn't adding a bunch of auto-tune effects kind of defeat the point? That being said, I suppose this app could be useful at a party if you don't have a dedicated machine.
Discover YouSing, THE new social karaoke app that enables you to fill your daily life with singing. Sing in solo, or join the singers of the YouSing community: record duets or group songs and meet other talents, brought together by singing. With YouSing, perfect your voice with vocal effects, adjust the song's instrumental to your taste, make friends, and share your passion for karaoke all over the world.
This is not a gambling app. No, not at all. Gambling? Not in here, officer. But it is an app that statistically predicts the outcome for all major sporting events in the entire country, giving users probable scores and over-under ratings, including more esoteric statistics. For fun. Not for money. Because this app isn't for gambling. Not at all.
SportsLine combines advanced data with the analysis of sports experts to project the outcome of every game for all major U.S. sports. Our picks are powered by computer simulations that play out each game over 10,000 times to predict the winner, score and stats for every matchup. While other sports apps focus on gossip, SportsLine takes you inside the game so you know what will happen on every play before the game even starts.
LumiKids Snow by Lumosity
The latest LumiKids app from Lumosity doesn't break the mold: it's a "cognitive training tool" that presents itself as a series of memory and logic games for kids, and lets parents track scores and progress. This one's games are winter-themed, which should be a boon if your kids are bored of the older versions of the app.
Explore an arctic adventure in LumiKids Snow. In this frozen playground, meet new LumiKids friends while you toss snowballs and sled around then warm up with some cozy s’mores. LumiKids Snow is the fourth app in the new early childhood product line, LumiKids by Lumosity.
Pixelscapes Wallpaper is a collection of three out of this world animated pixel art wallpapers. Wallpaper one: Grab a blanket and settle down on the edge of a lake. Across is a warm little house, a street light, and some snow-covered trees, but none of that compares to the clear starry night waiting overhead.
Know A Worthy New App? Let Us Know!
If you have an application in mind for the next issue of the roundup, feel free to send us an email and let us know.
Important: there are 2 requirements in order for the app to be considered, listed below.
- the app's launch date has to be no longer than 2 weeks ago
- it has to be original, ground-breaking, well-reviewed, interesting, fun, etc - the cream of the crop
Now, if and only if the above requirements have been satisfied, fire up an email to this address: [email protected].
1 sponsored placement per week is available (your app would be featured at the top and marked as sponsored) - please contact us for details.