Smartwatches are bulky - there's no getting around that. Even Apple, the very embodiment of tech's obsession with downsizing the z-axis of your products at all costs, can't make a thin smartwatch. Today, Pebble has decided that it can make a thin smartwatch, and that this watch can be round* (*with a massive, enormous bezel) and apparently that most of the company's claim to fame in smartwatches - battery life - really isn't super important after all. Meet the Pebble Time Round. It's a round Pebble Time that's just 7.5mm thin and, according to Pebble, will last 2 days on a charge. Two days, for the record, is about what you can expect with judicious use of Android Wear devices like the Watch Urbane and Huawei Watch, but Pebble is doing it in a much thinner, lighter (... and less fully-featured) package.
The Pebble Time also weighs just 28 grams, which is impressive (I think?). It will come in black, silver, or NO WAY ROSE GOLD (yes way!), along with 20mm and 14mm straps. Pebble hasn't said how much each version will cost, only that they will "start" at $249. Edit: pre-orders are up and all versions are $249.99 with a leather strap, including the rose gold. Cool.
Otherwise, this is the same Pebble Time you heard about earlier this year, except round and, of course, with a UI that's hopefully been adapted for said roundness. You can pre-order a Pebble Time Round from Pebble (here), Best Buy, Amazon, or Target, and the watches will begin shipping in early November.
If you happened to be on the list for a Pebble Time Steel on Kickstarter and now feel like you now want a Time Round instead, Pebble is offering a perplexing and kind of needlessly complicated "try both" option, which I've pasted below because I really don't even want to try explaining it.
- Reserve Pebble Time Round at pebble.com with the same email address you used to back Pebble Time Steel on Kickstarter. You will not be charged until your order ships.
- Enjoy Pebble Time Steel while waiting for Pebble Time Round to arrive. You may cancel your reservation at any time if you decide Pebble Time Steel is the one for you.
- When your Pebble Time Round ships, we will automatically discount the order by $50.
- When your Pebble Time Round arrives, try it for up to 30 days alongside Pebble Time Steel.
- If you love both watches, Pebble Time Round is yours to keep for the discounted price!
- During the trial period, you may return Pebble Time Round or Pebble Time Steel, and we’ll refund you for the Pebble Time Round order. The price of watch you keep will equal your Pebble Time Steel pledge amount, plus the cost of return shipping.
- Full details about this discount and trial plan can be found on our Help site.
So that's nice.