The G Stylo is an odd beast: its huge screen and built-in stylus imply a competitor to the Galaxy Note series, but a collection of low-end hardware specs means that it's actually intended for bargain hunters or those on a tight budget. If you're looking to get an interesting phone on the equally cheap Boost Mobile MVNO, you've now got the G Stylo as a choice. Boost is selling the phone for $199.99 without a contract.
Boost's parent company Sprint will also offer the G Stylo, but for some reason it's going to take a little longer to arrive with yellow paint. Sprint will sell the phone to prepaid customers on June 7th for the same $200 price, with regular contract and post-paid customers getting the option on June 12. Based on the $12 a month price for 24 months, the installment price is $288, so it makes more sense to buy it outright even on the more expensive plans. The G Stylo is also available on T-Mobile.
The G Stylo uses a 5.7" 720p screen, a snapdragon 410 processor, and just 1GB of RAM. (Oddly, LG's original spec said 1.5GB - the Boost Mobile site says it has only one.) That should be just enough to run Android 5.0 and LG's software skin, which includes a handful of purpose-built apps just for the stylus input. The storage is rather abysmal at 8GB plus a MicroSD card, but at least the removable 3000mAh battery should last for quite a while with the low-power chipset. Cameras are 8MP and 5MP on the rear and front, respectively.
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), May 13, 2015 - Recognizing that different customers have different needs, Sprint is offering three options to save money on the premium smartphone experience of the new LG G Stylo.
The LG G Stylo is available now from Boost Mobile in metallic silver for $199.99 (plus tax) atwww.boostmobile.com/lg-g-stylo. It will also be available for $199.99 (plus tax) on Sunday, June 7, on Sprint Prepaid for those who have an affinity for the Sprint brand but want a no-contract plan, no credit check or no long-term commitment.
For those who want a to take advantage of the savings offered with installment billing, the Sprint Family Share Pack or the Sprint $60 Unlimited Plan (excluding taxes and surcharges), Sprint will offer LG G Stylo with $0 down (plus tax) and 24 monthly payments of $12 (SRP: $288; excluding taxes; service plan required) beginning Friday, June 12.
“Sprint offers customers so many options to customize their buying experience based on how they want to pay for their device and how they want to use it,” said David Owens, senior vice president, Product Development, Sprint. “Boost Mobile, Sprint Prepaid and Sprint offer individuals and families a variety of options to save money on the best smartphones like the LG G Stylo and their monthly service plans.”
The LG G Stylo is a powerhouse smartphone that takes entertainment and productivity to the next level with an enormous display and premium features. Key features include:
- 5.7-inch HD IPS touchscreen display with Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3 so you can view media and games on a bigger screen.
- A convenient Stylus Pen for easy, efficient writing and drawing.
- 8-megapixel rear camera with laser auto focus to capture incredible shots – no matter the setting.
- 5-megapixel front camera with Soft Light and Gesture Shot for upping your selfie game.
- Knock Code™ for a personalized knock sequence to wake and unlock your phone.
- QuickMemo®+, which lets you write or draw on any screen and the integrated Stylus makes doodling easier than ever.
- Android™ 5.0, Lollipop, for an intuitive and easy-to-use smartphone experience.
- 1.2GHz quad-core processor for smooth and seamless on-device performance.
- Removable 3,000mAh battery providing up to 24 hours of talk time1.