You don't need to understand the lyrics to like a song, but sometimes it helps. Musixmatch is a slick way to sing along with your tunes or have an impromptu karaoke party, and now it's about to get even better. There's an updated version of it in the Play Store beta channel with some new features and a full material redesign.
Here's the changelog listed by the developer.
Brand new FloatingLyrics
- A revamped UI, simpler and more beautiful than ever
- Launch it directly from the notification tray and use the MusicID feature to recognize lyrics while watching YouTube music videos!
- More quick actions from the menu, such as favorite, search and MusicID
- Double tap on the header to maximize/minimize the floating window
Improved Add and Resync lyrics features
- You can finally add new lyrics from inside the app or from FloatingLyrics: no more redirects to the website! (Edit lyrics will follow soon)
- The Resync feature is now much faster, thanks to a native implementation
Brand new Search feature
- A new, smarter search: just type a song title or part of the lyrics, you will get all the results immediately, with a best match on top
- Search as you type, it will be even faster to look lyrics up
- Added option to quickly start MusicID to identify lyrics
- You can now edit more fields using the "Edit song info" feature, such as track number, disc number and year
- Boatloads of bug fixes and performance improvements
The app itself acts as a music player and ties in directly to local music and Spotify Premium. For Google Play Music, you can use the new FloatingLyrics UI. You launch it from a notification to show a small floating box with lyrics that advance in sync with the song. You can also minimize it to a floating icon a little like a Facebook chat head.
You can get the beta APK from the mirror below or sign up for the beta on Google+ and become a tester yourself. Musixmatch is free to use with occasional ads, but you can subscribe for $1.99 per month or $4.99 per year to get rid of them.