The Kwikset Kevo Bluetooth-enabled door lock is the kind of tech that reminds us that we're living in the future. With one of these installed in your home, you can get inside just by tapping a finger against the lock. Before you panic, this only works if your phone is in range and on the right side of door (i.e. the outside).
The product first hit the market over a year ago, but it only supported iOS. The developers didn't want to exclude Android—the platform just wasn't ready. To get things to work, they relied on Bluetooth Smart, which Android has only now started to properly support with the release of Lollipop.
UniKey quickly pushed out a private beta in early November where people running 5.0 could test things out. Now the beta is going public, and the companion app is available in the Play Store for all to see. It gives you the ability to send out eKeys to friends so that they can temporarily enter your home using their phone as well, and it provides a log of all the times this has happened. The interface should fit in nicely on a Nexus device.
There are no shortage of obstacles standing between you and this app. First you need the hardware, which is rather pricey, but not as expensive as the house you need to own in order to install it. Then you need a device running Android Lollipop, with the Play Store specifically pointing out the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 9. But if you can make it through these hoops, by all means, proceed into the Play Store via the entrance below.
Kwikset Expands Kevo Compatibility To Android Users With Beta App
Android Lollipop users can download the beta Kevo app today on Google Play
LAKE FOREST, Calif., Dec. 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Kwikset®, the leader in residential door hardware, introduces Android™ compatibility to the breakthrough Kevo™ smart lock. Consumers with Android 5.0 Lollipop (L) software on supported devices can download the beta Kevo app on the Google Play store to experience Kevo's functionality.
Android L customers can now download and use the beta Kevo app to experience Kevo, while Kwikset continues to enhance the performance and functionality of the official app. Android L devices are the first from Android that fully support Bluetooth® Smart peripheral mode, which is needed for Kevo compatibility. Bluetooth Smart technology ensures a low energy, seamless connection from the Kevo deadbolt to authorized devices. Since Kevo's launch, Kwikset and technology partner, UniKey Technologies, Inc., have worked to develop a compatible app that gives Android users the complete smart lock experience.
"We're excited to expand Kevo smart lock compatibility to the large Android fan base with the public beta program," said Greg Williamson, chief marketing officer, Hardware and Home Improvement, Spectrum Brands.
All Android customers with Google's new Android L devices, Nexus 6 phone and Nexus 9 tablet, can download the beta Kevo app today on the Google Play store. Android L users can experience key features of Kevo, including:
- Touch-to-open convenience – No more fumbling for keys, simply touch the lock to open with your authorized Android device in your purse or pocket to open the door.
- eKey management – Send or delete electronic keys (eKeys) from the beta Kevo app to grant or revoke access from your smartphone at any time.
- Guest, Anytime and Scheduled eKeys – Guest eKeys allow users to give recipients access to the home for a 24-hour period, while Anytime eKeys give guests unrestricted access and Scheduled eKeys let users set day and time restraints for someone who needs regular, pre-determined access.
- History Log – A history of the lock's activity may be viewed through the Kevo mobile app. The history log provides the times and dates that eKeys were sent and received as we as well eKey holders locked and unlocked the door for ultimate peace of mind.
- Inside / Outside technology – Kevo offers patent-pending positioning technology that detects whether an authorized user is inside or outside of the home before granting access, to help prevent unauthorized entry.
Through customer feedback to the beta experience, Kwikset will be able to implement all Kevo app features for the official Android app launch.
"As more devices become Bluetooth Smart compatible, Kwikset is committed to giving all consumers the chance to enjoy Kevo's convenience and ability to manage home security from their smartphones," said Williamson.
Visit Kwikset at International CES at Tech West, Sands Expo booth #71021 to demonstrate the beta Kevo app on Nexus 6 devices. For more information about the beta Kevo app testing program and compatible devices, please visit http://kwikset.com/kevo.