Just over a week after its last update, it seems Google Play Services is receiving another bump - this time up to 6.1.71.
Of course, Google hasn't posted an official change log for the update quite yet, but we've already got the APK and can point out a few differences. The most obvious one is of course the new launcher icon for Google Settings, which follows Google's yet unspoken launcher icon design guidelines
The various menus also have new L-style checkboxes on pre-L devices. We're still digging around to see what's new, so we'll add more details here as we find them.
In the meantime you can grab the APK for yourself. Like other recent updates, this APK behaves oddly on the L preview. The colors are dark, resources mismatched, and the overflow button causes a force close. It seems Google is holding back some updates (like the Play Store) from the L preview, likely due to API conflicts. Download at your own risk!
To figure out the right version of Google Play services for your Android device, download Play Services info or go to Settings -> Apps -> Google Play services, and look at the 3-digit sequence (let's use XYZ) in the parentheses:
* X defines Android version:
- 0 for Android <5.0
- 2 for Android 5.0 and 5.1 starting with Play Services v8
- 4 for Android 5.0 and 5.1 before Play Services v8, Android >= 6.0 after
- 5 for Android Wear
- 7 for Android 5.0
- 8 for Android TV
- 9 for Android 8.0+
* Y defines CPU architecture:
- 1 for armeabi
- 3 for armeabi-v7a
- 4 for arm64-v8a
- 5 for mips
- 7 for x86
- 8 for x86_64
* Z defines DPI:
- 0 for universal nodpi
- 2 for 160
- 4 for 240
- 6 for 320
- 8 for 480
- It seems that 7YZ builds became 4YZ with Google Play services v6.5. If you were on 7YZ before, you should now install 4YZ.
- It seems that 4YZ builds got split into 2YZ for Lollipop and 4YZ for Marshmallow with Google Play services v8. If you were on 4YZ before, you should now install 2YZ in Lollipop and 4YZ in Marshmallow.
- 014 for Android <5.0 armeabi CPU 240 DPI device
- 438 for Android 6.0+ armeabi-v7a CPU 480 DPI device
- 876 for Android TV x86 CPU 320 DPI device
- 940 for Android 8.0+ arm64 CPU nodpi device
The APK is signed by Google and upgrades your existing app. The cryptographic signature guarantees that the file is safe to install and was not tampered with in any way. Rather than wait for Google to push this download to your devices, which can take days, download and install it just like any other APK.