The HTC One M8 is an Android device that looks and feels premium. However, its price tag suggests the same. If you want the power and features of the Taiwanese manufacturer's flagship smartphone but don't particular need all of that aluminum, Sprint is now offering such a device in the form of the HTC One E8. This more affordable option comes in priced at 24 monthly payments of roughly $20.84, which adds up to $500. The M8's 24 payments of $27.09 come out to $650 instead. Alternatively, you can get the E8 for $99.99 with a two-year contract compared to the M8's $199.99.
Many of the E8's specs are similar, but some things have changed. It still comes with a 5-inch 1920 by 1080 display, a 2.3GHz quad-core Snapdragon 801 processor, 2GB of RAM, a 2,600mAh battery, a 5MP front-facing camera, and two BoomSound speakers. But the amount of internal storage has dropped down to 16GB (fortunately still supplemented by a microSD card slot), and the 4 ultrapixel camera on the back has been traded out for a 13MP shooter (which could be considered an improvement). The Sprint Spark-compatible device comes with Sense 6 and Android 4.4.2.
We've known about this device since June, and we heard about it coming to Sprint a couple of weeks ago. Today makes it official. Sprint is offering the handset in two colors: Misty Gray and Polar White. While these are hardly the colorful options we saw before, at least there's some degree of choice. Here's the full press release with more details.
HTC One rocks out with fresh new design
Beginning today, Sprint customers can get the HTC One ® experience in a fresh design with the new HTC One® E8.
HTC One E8 will be available in Polar White or Misty Gray with silver accents via Sprint Web Sales or Telesales at 1-800-SPRINT1. With Sprint Easy Pay, well-qualified buyers can purchase HTC One E8 with $0 down (plus tax) and 24 monthly payments of $20.84.
Featuring a lighter slimmer profile with a curved body and wraparound edges, HTC One E8 fits easily in your hand.
Enjoy music on your device? Look no further than HTC One E8 with HTC BoomSound™, the dual front-facing speakers and balanced amplifier boost bass and deliver clearer vocals. Refinements were made to the hardware, software and speaker characteristics to ensure the best sound possible on a smartphone.
Featuring Android™ 4.4.2, KitKat, HTC One E8 has a 5-inch Full HD display, powerful 2.3GHz quad-core processor and 2,600mAh lithium-ion battery to keep you connected all day long1. Additional key features include:
- Dual Cameras: 13-megapixel rear-facing and 5-megapixel front-facing with a timer to allow you to snap the perfect selfie. Add a touch of professionalism to your pics with a suite of Beautification effects.
- Motion Launch™: Allows you to access your phone with just one swipe. Simply lift your phone to answer a call – no device unlocking needed.
- Wi-Fi Calling: An included service that lets you use voice and messaging services over existing home, office and public Wi-Fi networks.
- HTC Sense™ 6.0
- 3G/4G mobile hotspot, supporting up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices.
- HD Voice enabled: Sprint HD Voice expands the normal voice call from a four-octave range to seven octaves to deliver crystal clear voice calls while helping to reduce unwanted background noise. Sprint HD voice is now available nationwide.2
- Sprint Spark™ provides the capacity to greatly improve the performance of video and other bandwidth-intensive applications while opening the way for futuristic applications. Sprint Spark is designed to support a new generation of online gaming, virtual reality, advanced cloud services and other applications requiring very high bandwidth.
Available today in 27 markets across the country, Sprint Spark is an enhanced LTE service that’s built for data and designed to deliver average wireless speeds of 6-15Mbps and peak wireless speeds of 50-60Mbps today on capable devices, with increasing speed potential over time. Sprint plans to reach 100 million Americans by year-end with the service.3