The LG Volt, as a low cost phone destined to be sold with no contract, is shocking more in the static electricity way than, say, a bolt of lighting. But in the moment immediately following touching a doorknob after dragging your feet around too much on the carpet, who really cares? At $179.99, the Volt should hit a number of users with enough juice to keep them going starting today on Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile.
The phone, which is a rebranded LG F90, offers a 1.2ghz quad-core Snapdragon processor, a 4.7-inch IPS display, an 8MP rear-facing camera, and a 1.3MP front-facing one. The 3000 mAh removable battery is a little on the beefy side, and as far as software's concerned, the device is powered by Android 4.4 and comes with more than a couple LG-specific apps.
All together, there are worse ways to save money. Links for the LG Volt along with a full press release are available below.
LG Volt Powers Its Way To Boost Mobile And Virgin Mobile USA No Contract Plans On May 12
With An Experience That Puts You In Control, LG Volt Offers Lightning Fast Features To Speed You Through Your Day
ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J., May 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- LG Electronics–the maker of the acclaimed LG G2 smartphone, LG G Pad 8.3 tablet and innovative curved LG G Flex smartphone – today announced that the new LG Volt is powering its way to no contract Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile USA as the first high-speed Enhanced LTE-capable device for the two Sprint prepaid brands. Both Boost and Virgin Mobile offer flexible unlimited service options with no long-term contracts.
Starting today, LG Volt will be available online at http://www.virginmobileusa.com and http://www.boostmobile.com and at retail for an MSRP of $179.99. The new smartphone will be available on Boost Mobile in Dark Blue and Virgin Mobile in White.
The LG Volt runs the latest Android operating system, Android™ 4.4 KitKat, is powered by a 1.2 GHz quad-core Qualcomm ® Snapdragon ™ processor, and boasts a strong enough battery for up to 24 hours of talk time*. This makes this lightweight smartphone a powerful all-day performer while on-the-go.
The smartphone's 4.7-inch IPS display delivers sharp, vivid colors, making streaming videos, browsing the web and interacting with favorite apps a cinch and enjoyable. With its 8-megapixel rear-facing and 1.3-megapixel front-facing cameras, consumers can capture cherished moments and then quickly and easily share them with family and friends.
Bringing Boost Mobile's and Virgin Mobile's customers a popular new security feature, the LG Volt offers the LG Knock Code, an evolution of LG KnockON. LG Knock Code is a unique new way of waking and unlocking smartphones using a personalized knock sequence within four invisible quadrants on the display. LG Volt users can customize more than 80,000 knock code combinations, helping users feel more confident about their device's security.
The LG Volt comes pre-loaded with a number of new apps that keep users entertained and efficient in their tasks while on-the-go:
- Next Radio: Consumers can tune into their favorite local FM radio stations with Next Radio** and get song and artist information to share online, or purchase straight from your phone.
- QuickRemote: Turn your LG Volt into a universal TV remote easily with QuickRemote, putting your multi-room, home entertainment system right at your fingertips.
- QuickMemo™: Create and share personalized memos by taking screen captures and adding handwritten drawings or messages – like looking up directions on the map application, jotting down a handwritten note on the map for the date and time of a dinner date and sending it to a friend or family member
- QSlide Function: Multitask by layering up to two windows over the main screen, adjusting for size and transparency – such as using the Richnote feature simultaneously with the calendar or calculator
- EasyHome: Users can easily access their favorite features, such as camera, contacts, dial pad, voicemail, weather and more from the homescreen, perfect for first-time smartphone owners
- Guest Mode: This feature can personalize a user experience for yourself or a guest, controlling which apps and capabilities are available depending on which are made accessible.***
Key Technical Specs Include:
- Android 4.4 KitKat
- Knock Code and KnockOn
- 4.7 IPS Display with Corning ® Gorilla® Glass 2
- 1.2 GHz quad-core Qualcomm® Snapdragon ™ Processor
- 8-megapixel rear-facing camera; 1.3-front-facing camera
- Full 1080p HD Camcorder
- 1 GB (Internal) with microSD™ Memory Card support to 32GB
- 3,000 mAh removable battery with up to 24 hours of talk time
- Smart LED Alerts
* Talk time based on average use; actual battery performance may vary and dependent on voice, data, and other usage patterns as well as network configuration, signal strength, operating temperature and features selected.
**Headset required (sold separately)
**Some owner content and information may still be accessible to a user in Guest Mode.