A Google+ Android app update is inbound that should help many of us get in the mood for the upcoming winter. And let's just say, this one is rather quirky.
Once the update has made itself at home on our devices, all we need do is give them a shake while looking at one of your own photos to add snow to the shot - the same Auto Awesome effect Google rolled out just last week.
But that's not all. Vic Gundotra has shared additional new features users can look forward to via, appropriately, a Google+ post. This update enables us to search for posts, people, photos, and communities from a single search box. We are also given tighter control over who can buzz our phones by adjusting the "Who can notify me" setting and selecting only certain people, such as friends or family members. In addition to that, we can explore content by category when visiting the "What's Hot" stream.
1. Shake your device to add snow to your photos. Many of you enjoyed last week’s#AutoAwesome snow (http://goo.gl/913KlK), so we’re adding another way to let it snow this holiday season. Just open one of your photos, shake your device, and snow will start falling. Shake again to save. (https://youtu.be/YWRa6Cz6m_M)
2. Search across more stuff, from a single box. Now you can search for posts, people, photos and communities — all from one place. So the next time you’re looking for something specific, just tap ‘Search’ and type what you want.
3. Control who can buzz your phone, without missing notifications from others. If you only want certain people to be able to buzz your phone (like family), simply adjust your “Who can notify me” settings. Notifications from others will now appear in “Everything else,” so you can read them whenever it’s convenient.
4. Explore content by category. Now when you visit the What’s Hot stream, you’ll be able to “go deeper” on a number of different categories — from Music and Science to Sports and Photography.
5. Spread the love this holiday season. Now when you +1 posts in the stream, you’ll see something lovely.
The update is rolling out gradually, so you might want to bundle up and make something warm while you wait.
The update is going out to users in stages, so we've provided three mirrors containing the APK below.
The APK is signed by Google and upgrades your existing app. The cryptographic signature guarantees that the file is safe to install and was not tampered with in any way. Rather than wait for Google to push this download to your devices, which can take days, download and install it just like any other APK.
File name: com.google.android.apps.plus-220.127.116.11076054.apk
File Size: 27.88 MB (29235891 bytes)
Thanks, Ben Murphy!