If the Galaxy Note II isn't what you'd call "big," and you'd feel much more comfortable using something like a Nexus 7 as your phone, then perhaps the Galaxy Mega may be just what the doctor ordered. While the Mega isn't a new phone in terms of international availability, Samsung has just announced that the massive 6.3-inch device will be making its way to the States eventually. This comes as no surprise, as we've already seen both AT&T and Sprint versions of the device.
At the current time, the only thing we really know is which carriers will offer the device: AT&T, US Cellular, and Sprint. Otherwise, each carrier will have to makes its own release date and color availability announcement.
For those who may not be familiar with the Mega, here's a rundown of its basic specs:
- 6.3-inch 1280x720 display
- 1.7GHz dual-core processor
- 1.5GB RAM
- 8P rear shooter
- 3,200mAh battery
- Android 4.2.2
Naturally, the Mega is also packed with Samsung's other go-to features, like Multi-Window, Air View, WatchOn, and EasyMode.
We'll keep you posted as carrier availability and pricing are announced.
Update: AT&T just announced that the device will be available beginning on August 23rd for $149.99 with a two-year agreement, or $24 a month on a Next plan.
Samsung Brings the Galaxy Mega to U.S. Consumers
6.3-inch HD screen combines a tablet experience with
the functionality of an everyday smartphone
Dallas, TX – August 19, 2013 – Continuing its commitment to provide choice to consumers, Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC (Samsung Mobile) today announces the Samsung Galaxy Mega™ for the U.S. market. The 6.3-inch Galaxy Mega is the ideal hybrid mobile device for those who want to experience smartphone portability with the immersive experience of a tablet.
“We continue to bring innovation with our Galaxy family of devices, with the Galaxy Mega representing a manifestation of consumer’s enthusiasm for our thin, large screen designs,” said Nick DiCarlo, vice president of product planning and marketing at Samsung Mobile. “The Galaxy Mega combines exceptional features from the Samsung Galaxy smartphone family with a 6.3-inch screen, making it an optimal device for movies, books, music and games.”
Superior Galaxy® Features
The Galaxy Mega allows users to enjoy many of the benefits of Samsung’s latest flagship device, the Galaxy S® 4, on an even larger screen. The Galaxy Mega’s big-screen experience enhances everything you do on a smartphone – whether it’s watching a video, browsing web pages or composing an email.
· Air View™: Explore information and content on your Galaxy Mega without ever touching the screen. Simply hover your finger an inch above the screen to preview emails and photos, initiate speed-dial and even magnify text.
· Multi Window: Multi Window split screen multitasking allows users to seamlessly run multiple apps on one screen simultaneously, and is now better than ever on the 6.3-inch HD screen of the Galaxy Mega. Watch a movie on Samsung Hub™ and check email at the same time, all by dragging and dropping apps on the same screen.
· WatchON™: Control your television using the Galaxy Mega as a remote control. Discover a rich TV viewing experience with the Integrated Infrared (IR) controller that makes Smart Remote functional with any IR capable TV or Set Top Box. Users can share content from the Galaxy Mega to a TV effortlessly, as well as channel surf in a smart, new way that lets you browse by genre, search by title or receive recommendations based on your interests.
· Easy Mode: Helps smooth the transition for first-time smartphone owners by simplifying the home screen layout, camera, calendar, messaging and the internet browser to make the settings menu easy to navigate. Once a user is more comfortable with their Galaxy Mega, they can easily switch back to the standard home screen interface.
At 8-megapixels, the Galaxy Mega rear-facing camera has zero shutter lag to capture life’s memorable moments without delay. The Galaxy Mega is equipped with the easy-to-navigate Galaxy Camera™ user interface which supports numerous shooting modes such as Beauty Face, Best Photo, Sound & Shot,Panorama and more to enhance photos taken by even the most novice photographer. Galaxy Mega users can also create photo albums on the fly with Story Album™ - a unique way to group content by event or date. With the spacious display and a variety of filters and editing tools, smartphone photos have never looked better.
The Galaxy Mega has 6.3 inches of screen real estate with a HD Super Clear LCD (720x1280) display that beautifully showcases photos, e-books and magazines, or PowerPoint presentations. Wide viewing angles mean that users can maximize productivity and never sacrifice their experience.
The Galaxy Mega runs Android™ 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean), powered by a 1.7 GHz dual core CPU and 1.5 GB of internal RAM. Users can store large libraries of photos, music and videos with expandable storage of up to 64 GB of memory with an external microSD™ card.
The Galaxy Mega is also SAFE™ (Samsung for Enterprise), allowing users to work and play with confidence that their photos, emails and contacts are protected. Built with enough power to get you through the longest work days, the Galaxy Mega is powered by a removable 3,200 mAh battery for extended use on a single charge.
Protect the Galaxy Mega with an assortment of cover options, such as the S-View Flip Cover, a specially designed flip cover with a clear window to answer or reject a call and view battery status. The traditional Flip Cover provides similar functionality without a viewing window, and the Protective Cover + fits snugly around the Galaxy Mega to protect against bumps and falls. Sold separately, the S-View Flip Cover, Flip Cover and Protective Cover + come in a variety of vibrant colors to add personality and style, all while protecting the Galaxy Mega.
The Galaxy Mega comes in Nova Black and Polaris White color options and will be available beginning this month. AT&T, Sprint and US Cellular will carry the device - each carrier will announce their specific availability, colors and timing.
For more information on the Galaxy Mega and accessories, please visit www.samsung.com.