Field Trip is a somewhat experimental project out of Google's Niantic Labs, an internal start-up that is also responsible for the game Ingress. Field Trip is a location-aware experience just like Ingress, but its purpose is to alert you to notable stuff in your general vicinity. Showing you mildly interesting landmarks is one thing, but Field Trip can now get you free admission to 13 museums in addition to telling you where they are.
Wander near any of the participating institutions and Field Trip will pop up a card (in the Nearby tab) that contains instructions on how to get your free culture injection. Simply show the museum staff your Field Trip "free entry" card, and you get one free admission. It works at the following locations:
- Conservatory of Flowers, SF
- California Academy of Sciences, SF
- Walt Disney Family Museum, SF
- Museum of Contemporary Art, LA
- Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago
- Adler Planetarium, Chicago
- The Field Museum, Chicago
- Museum of the city of New York, NY
- Museum of Arts and Design, NY
- National Building Museum, DC
- Portland Children's Museum
- Portland Art Museum
- Pittock Mansion, Portland
That's 6 different cities, if you're keeping count. The tickets are a limited time offer, so don't wait too long to take advantage. It would be great to see this program come to more locations, but for the time being this looks like a one-off deal.