The Worms games are fabulous turn-based combat experiences that consumed many hours of my formative years. The original Worms was ported to Android a few years ago, but it was riddled with bugs and has since been abandoned by publisher EA. Here's hoping that Worms 2: Armageddon is delivered in better shape when it hits the Play Store this spring.
For the uninitiated, in Worms games you control a team of anthropomorphic worms with the singular goal of eliminating the other team. To accomplish this feat you have at your disposal a wacky arsenal of bombs, guns, airstrikes, and exploding sheep (really). Check the full list of features below:
- Authentic Worms™ gameplay with cartoon-style visuals, comical audio and a refined control system using the innovative touch screen user interface
- New to Worms? Make sure to check out the Practice mode, where you can try out weapons against A.I. dummyworms
- 30 Single Player missions across 5 new themes including Manhattan, Medieval, Sports, Construction and Cheese
- Body Count Mode, take on endless waves of increasingly tough enemy worms
- Take on players from around the world with online Wi-Fi multiplayer action for 2 players
- Pass-and-Play with hotseat local multiplayer action for 2-4 players.
- New weapons and utilities, including the Sentry Gun, Electromagnet, Napalm Strike, Super Sheep, Petrol Bomb, Armageddon, Drill, Earthquake and Poison Strike
- Classic Worms™ weaponry, including the return of the Sheep, Holy Hand Grenade, Concrete Donkey, Parachute, Baseball Bat and Ninja Rope
- Personalise the look of your team by changing their names, hat, skin, speechbank, gravestone, fort and victory dance
- 12 different Game Styles including new modes Fort Mode and Crazy Crates and the return existing modes Easy, Normal, Pro, ‘Bazooka and Grenade’, Melee, Gun Show, Heads Up, Lightside, Darkside and Sudden Death. You can even create your own Custom Game Style!
Sadly, we can't get a more specific release date than "spring." The game is already out on iOS for $4.99, and I'd expect a similar price on Android.