- 1 Featured App
- 2 Apps
- 2.1 My Xbox LIVE
- 2.2 XFINITY™ TV Player
- 2.3 Zombies, Run!
- 2.4 Meta Widget
- 2.5 jetAudio Basic
- 2.6 FolderSync
- 2.7 Aviary Photo Editor
- 2.8 hovernote
- 2.9 Instapaper
- 2.10 Evernote Hello
- 2.11 Evernote Food
- 2.12 Kicksend
- 2.13 million moments
- 2.14 Rock Radio
- 2.15 Songkick Concerts
- 2.16 First Aid - American Red Cross
- 2.17 Magic Piano
- 2.18 Hotspot Shield VPN
- 2.19 Samsung TecTile US,Canada only
- 2.20 Smthngs
- 2.21 ClipSync
Welcome to the roundup of the best new Android applications, games, and live wallpapers that went live in the Market or were spotted by us in the previous 3 weeks or so.
This is the app roundup. The game roundup from this week can be found here.
Tasks N Todos - ToDo List Manager
Today's roundup is sponsored by Tasks N Todos, a TODO manager from Handy Apps, the developer of such well received apps as Easy Money and Tip N Split Tip Calculator. Tasks N Todos combines a pleasant interface with powerful functions, and supports both tablets and phones (see screenshots of both UIs below), including Ice Cream Sandwich.
The app synchronizes with Google Tasks using the official Tasks API, so you won't have to worry about losing your data - it lives in the cloud. Yup, that also means tasks are synchronized between all your Android devices.
You can create one-time and recurring tasks, drag and drop them, set reminders, swipe between lists, and slice and dice your data using filters and sorts. Widgets and backup/restore functionality goes without saying - what respectable tasks app would omit those, right?
My Xbox LIVE
Android Police coverage: Android Gets Its Very Own Official Xbox LIVE App From Microsoft- In Other News, Pigs Now Fly
Microsoft released 2 apps for Android in the last 2 weeks. Wat?
Take your Xbox LIVE experience wherever you go with the My Xbox LIVE app. Track and compare your achievements, connect with your Xbox LIVE friends, and change up your 3D Avatar. Review all the recent great games you and your friends love to play and compare achievements with them. Access Xbox Spotlight feeds, get breaking news from Xbox LIVE, game tips and tricks, gamer spotlight and much more.
This app will allow you to
• Track and compare your achievements with your LIVE friends
• Change up your 3D avatar
• Message your Xbox LIVE friends
• Edit your LIVE Profile
XFINITY™ TV Player
This is a streaming video app done right. Very right. Great job, Comcast!
Watch thousands of XFINITY ON Demand TV Shows & Movies anytime, anywhere. Download the XFINITY TV Player and put a world of entertainment in the palm of your hand. Watch your favorite XFINITY On Demand TV shows and movies on your Android phone or tablet – wherever you go.
- Play content anytime, anywhere on your Android Phone or Tablet
- Enjoy TV Shows and movies from your favorite networks, including premium channels like HBO, Starz, Showtime, Cinemax and cable channels like TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network and BBC America.
- Set parental controls, so you can enjoy your content with privacy and peace of mind.
Android Police coverage: Zombies, Run! Spices Up Your Running Routine With A Little Undead Uprising
Zombies, Run! is an ultra-immersive running game and audio adventure. You tie your shoes, put on your headphones, take your first steps outside. You’ve barely covered 100 yards when you hear them. They must be close. You can hear every guttural breath, every rattling groan - they’re everywhere. Zombies. There’s only one thing you can do: Run! Zombies, Run! is an ultra-immersive running game and audio adventure, co-created with award-winning novelist Naomi Alderman. We deliver the story straight to your headphones through orders and voice recordings - and when you get back home, you use the supplies you’ve collected while running to build and grow your base.
You're going to need to watch the video to understand this unique app.
Meta is a unique widget that can turn virtually any online content into dynamic, interactive widgets. Simply browse to a website, pick a column of text, link, image or element and enjoy this information right on your home screen. Almost anything can be parsed out of a website - images, articles, feeds or features. Use it for local papers, web comics, site statistics, analytics, account information, forums, threads, inbox status, weather, stocks, pics of the day and even Facebook pages. Any widget created through meta can be customized and automatically updated, or updated on user interaction.
★ Create widgets from almost any website element
★ Parse graphs and images
★ Extract statistics and information from authorized sites
★ Configure widgets (background, alignment, etc.)
★ Automatic updates
★ User defined click actions
★ Lots of other cool stuff
INSTRUCTIONS: To get started, add a Meta Widget to your home screen and navigate to the site you want to widgetize. Then, when you get to the page you want, check the box in the lower left corner and tap somewhere on the page. It'll surround that element in an orange box, after which you can move the selection tool around with the arrows at the bottom of the screen. When you find the element you want to put on your home screen, tap the plus sign and go to town configuring text colors, widget alignment, and more to make it look just right.
jetAudio is a music player with Wide/Reverb/X-Bass SFX and 10 bands EQ. jetAudio for Windows is the highest rated and most downloaded media player on CNET.COM and, now you can listen to same high-quality sound on your Android phone using jetAudio. It plays almost any type of digital music files you have (.wav, .mp3, .ogg, .flac, .m4a, .mpc, .tta, .wv, .ape, .mod, .spx and more) and, it provides a very high quality sound with various effects and enhancements such as Wide, Reverb, X-Bass. It comes with 32 equalizer presets that will provide a wide array of listening experience. For those who would like to customize their own sound experience, it also allows 10 bands graphic equalizer and other advanced playback functions including playback speed control, crossfading, AGC and much more.
Android Police coverage: FolderSync Is An Amazingly Powerful Syncing Utility With OCD-Level Controls
I've only just noticed FolderSync in the last few weeks, and O. M. G. It has blown my mind with all its features and supported services (it supports almost everything I could think of), and most importantly, it will satisfy even the powerest of the power users. It is everything I've been looking for in a sync app and more. This is probably one of my favorite apps of the year, and I can't stop raving about it.
FolderSync enables easy sync of files between cloud storage and Android devices. FolderSync is a application that enables simple sync to cloud based storage to and from local folders on the device memory card. It currently support multiple SkyDrive, Dropbox, SugarSync, Ubuntu One, Box.net, LiveDrive, HiDrive, Google Drive, Google Docs, NetDocuments, Amazon S3, FTP, FTPS, SFTP, WebDAV or windows share (Samba/CIFS) accounts, and support for more platforms are planned. Effortlessly sync your files. Backup your music, pictures and other important files from the phone to your cloud storage or the other way around. It has never been easier. Tasker / locale support enables fine grained control of your syncs. FolderSync also contains a full file manager, that enables you to manage your files locally and in the cloud. Copy, move and delete your files in your cloud/remote accounts. Support for creation/deletion of buckets in Amazon S3. Upload and download files from the phone. It's all supported.
☆ Instant (full version)
☆ Multiple accounts (full version)
☆ File manager - manage your cloud files
☆ Amazon S3 Client Side Encryption support
☆ Tasker/locale support (full version)
☆ User defined sync filters (full version)
☆ Sync to and from you selected provider
☆ Two-way sync with support for deletions
☆ Backup/restore settings
☆ User specified sync interval or specific sync times
☆ Choose connection types for each sync item
☆ Support for syncing of subfolders
☆ Sync of hidden files can be disabled
☆ No ads (full version)
Aviary Photo Editor
Android Police coverage: Aviary Hatches A New Update: No Longer Just A Plugin, This Photo Editor Can Now Fly Solo
Aviary itself isn't new, but it was always just a plugin you had to share with while using other apps. As of this week, it's finally a standalone app, and that's worth celebrating.
Aviary is a powerful photo editor which we created because we wanted a quick and easy way to edit our photos on the go with no fuss. We’ve included all the tools you need, in a super intuitive interface so you can get right to editing.
Android Police coverage: Hovernote Is A Floating Notepad To Add To Your Floating App Arsenal
hovernote is a floating notepad app for your phone or tablet. With hovernote, you can write short, temporary notes while using any other app on your device. hovernote allows you to open any number of note windows, for unrestricted productivity. hovernote's minimalist interface keeps out of your way-- a tap of the search button hides the window controls, leaving more screen space for your app. hovernote is released under GPLv3. Source can be found here.
A simple tool to save web pages for reading later. Save web pages for later offline reading, optimized for readability on your tablet or phone's screen. Critically acclaimed by top blogs, newspapers, and magazines. Great for long articles and blog posts that you find during the day and would like to read, but don't have the time when you find them. Save with Instapaper, then read later when you're commuting, in a meeting, or waiting in line.
- Saves most web pages as text only, stripping away the full-sized layout to optimize for tablet and phone screens
- Distraction-free reading environment gets out of your way so you can focus on the content
- Everything you download is then available **OFFLINE**, so you can read whenever you want, even on airplanes, subways, or Wi-Fi-only devices away from internet connections
- Adjustable fonts, text sizes, line spacing, and margins
- Dark mode and brightness control for night reading
- Automatic Dark mode switching for sunset times in your location (not all devices support this feature)
- Folders for organization
- Share via web browser and any app that supports sharing
- Rotation lock
- Download up to 500 articles on your phone or tablet, and store unlimited articles on the Instapaper website
Evernote Hello helps you remember everyone you meet. Remembering people is hard. Evernote Hello makes it easy. Whether you're meeting someone for the first time, trying to remember a person's name, or recalling important aspects of a previous encounter, Evernote Hello is here to help. Here's how:
- See the faces of everyone you have met in a beautiful mosaic layout
- View a history of all the encounters you've had with individuals
- Remember all aspects of your meetings: location, notes, photos, and faces
- Tie Evernote Hello to LinkedIn to create fast, rich profiles
- See notes related to your encounters that are in your Evernote account
There are three easy ways to bring the people you meet into Evernote Hello:
- Create a quick profile and snap their photo
- Pull in their information from your address book
- Allow them to enter their contact information
It's up to you. Say goodbye to business cards and forgetting people with Hello.
Evernote Food helps you remember the food and meals you love. Evernote Food lets you capture, share and relive your memorable meals. Whether you're eating at home, at a restaurant, or embarking on a culinary adventure, use Evernote Food to remember all of your delicious experiences.
Use Evernote Food to:
- Remember the food and meals you love.
- Snap and organize photos of your food, setting and fellow diners to make a beautiful photo essay of your meals.
- Add a title, your location, tags, captions and additional notes about the experience.
- Select or search for places, powered by Foursquare
- Share meals with family and friends on Twitter and Facebook, or via old fashioned email.
- See related content from your Evernote account right inside the Evernote Food app.
- Browse through your meals or search for specific ones.
- Automatically sync to your Evernote account, where you can access your meal notes from any computer or mobile device.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Capture each course of your meals, along with photos of family and friends.
- Document each step while preparing your favorite recipes.
- Record interesting ingredients, product labels, wines, menus and recipes you come across.
- Save food-related experiences while you're traveling and tasting new delicacies.
- Track your food intake for fitness and dieting.
Kicksend is the simplest way to send photos and videos to people you love. Kicksend offers a simple way to share private photos, videos and other files from your Android phone or tablet to anyone, anywhere. With Kicksend, you can send files to any email address or group. Kicksend is a simple way to send photos, videos and other files to people you love. You can send large batches of full quality files on the web, mobile and desktop.
- Send large batches of full quality files, regardless of size
- Extremely simple interface and built-in organizer make sending and receiving files a breeze
- View, send and comment privately on PDFs, PSDs, docs, photos, videos, etc.
Android Police coverage: [New App] Million Moments By Sony Brings A Subtle (Yet Amazing) UI To Photo Organization
This is one of the most amazing UIs I've seen in an Android app - it even has those awesome Flipboard-like effects. Unfortunately, because I had to import photos in the beginning, I have a feeling it doesn't keep up with new stuff, and that's just not good enough for me. It's definitely worth checking out though, just to experience this gorgeous UI.
Turn your cherished moments into beautiful albums - effortlessly. The million moments application makes it easy to create elegantly laid out albums of your cherished pictures with just a few taps. Give your years of pictures—your growing children, your travels, your favorite moments—a sophisticated presentation.
From the makers of Digitally Imported radio, probably my favorite network of online radio stations (and the only music service I pay for monthly).
ROCKRADIO.COM streams the world’s most diverse selection of rock music. Explore 24 unique channels to find your favorite flavor of rock, from Classic Rock to Ska to many kinds of Metal. Our passionate (and human) channel directors play only the best tunes all day and night.
- Unique radio channels programmed by passionate channel directors.
- Not sure which channel to pick? No problem, explore the Styles list with predefined groups to make discovery fun and easy.
- Save your favorite channels to a list for quick and easy access.
- Sleep timer so you can drift away to your favorite music.
- Set higher or lower stream bitrate preference for when Cellular vs WiFi is used.
- Share your favorite tracks and channels with friends on Facebook, Twitter, or by email.
- Optional buffer bar with data usage display for tracking data plan usage and cellular signal issues.
- Registration is free and gets you access to all of our streaming radio apps, including: Digitally Imported, SKY.FM Radio and JAZZRADIO.com.
This app's design is pure joy to my eyes.
Get a personalized concert calendar based on your music and your location. Songkick tracks your favorite bands so you never miss them live. Instantly create a personalized concert calendar based on your bands and your location by scanning your music library, your Google Music account, or your Last.fm app. See why millions of fans worldwide use Songkick to track their favorite bands.
- Instantly scans your music library, your Google Music account, and your Last.fm app to track your favorite artists.
- Import your favorite artists from your Facebook, Pandora, or Last.fm accounts.
- Get a personalized, local concert calendar for your bands.
- Notifications when new concerts are announced.
- For every concert, see the line-up, venue, map, all the ticket options, invite friends, or add to your device's calendar.
- Browse all events in your city or any city worldwide. Add/edit more locations.
- For ICS users: handy home screen widget for recently added events so you don’t miss out.
- Customize your tracked artist list, so you never miss your favorite bands live.
- Browse the full tour schedule for your favorite artists.
- Keep track of your concert plans.
First Aid - American Red Cross
Android Police coverage: First Aid - American Red Cross App Should Be Installed On Every Phone Ever
Accidents happen. The official American Red Cross First Aid app puts expert advice for everyday emergencies in your hand. Get the app and be prepared for what life brings. With videos, interactive quizzes and simple step-by-step advice it’s never been easier to know first aid. The app is ad-free and spam free.
- Simple step-by-step instructions guide you through everyday first aid scenarios.
- Fully integrated with 9-1-1 so you can call EMS from the app at any time.
- Videos and animations make learning first aid fun and easy.
- Safety tips for everything, from severe winter weather to hurricanes, earthquakes and tornadoes help you prepare for emergencies.
- Preloaded content means you have instant access to all safety information at anytime, even without reception or an Internet connection.
- Interactive quizzes allow you to earn badges that you can share with your friends and show off your lifesaving knowledge.
Magic Piano, now on Google Play. From Bruno Mars to Mozart, play the hottest songs on the #1 piano game, now available on Android! Get free songs every day and enjoy the best song catalog of any piano app. Join the over 13 million Magic Piano players and experience the fun of playing piano - no lessons or tutors needed. Featured in the New York Times and Time magazine, Magic Piano makes you a piano virtuoso - any time, anywhere. Just touch the beams of light, and you control the notes, rhythm and tempo of each piece while Magic Piano serves as your guide.
Hotspot Shield VPN
Hotspot Shield for Android provides the same great features as our popular desktop software which has been downloaded 60 million times:
- PROVIDES INTERNET SECURITY & PRIVACY: protect yourself in Wi-Fi hotspots (VPN encrypts all traffic); protect your identity and your IP address to stop unwanted tracking.
- GIVES YOU ACCESS to your favorite sites: Unblock any blocked content and services--get Facebook, Skype, YouTube, Flickr and other sites wherever you are.
- BLOCKS & NOTIFIES you of spam, phishing and rogue websites. (ELITE subscription* only)
- SAVES YOU $$$: Hotspot Shield Bandwidth Compression speeds up browsing and shows you how much you saved on your data plan. Hotspot Shield has already saved 37 million MB of bandwidth for its mobile users. (ELITE subscription only)
Samsung TecTile US,Canada only
Android Police coverage: Samsung Introduces TecTiles: NFC Tags You Can Program With Your NFC-Enabled Smartphone
Tap into the possibilities. Samsung TecTile is an app which lets you read & write TecTile NFC Programmable Tags. You can create TecTiles to change settings on your phone, launch applications, check-in to places, update social status, or even make phone calls or send text messages automatically. Once you create a TecTile using the TecTile app, place the TecTile in a convenient place, then tap your phone to the TecTile to perform the action stored in the TecTile. You will need Samsung TecTile NFC Programmable Tags to use with this app. You can buy tags in your mobile phone store, or from the official Samsung TecTile website and store.
The UI - I love it!
Android-app for one of the best GTD online services. Smthngs is the best way to add, organize and share your tasks in your Android smartphone. It based on classical Getting Things Done (GTD) methods, which were improved and rethought.
Ever wanted to copy paste text from Android to Windows, from Windows to Android or from Android to Android? ClipSync does it all. ClipSync automatically synchronizes your Android clipboard with your Windows clipboard. Copying text in Windows (CTRL+C) will automatically send the copied text to the clipboard of all you android devices on the same LAN over WIFI. Just long press any text input field and paste from the default context menu. Copying text in Android will automatically update your Windows clipboard, and the clipboard of all other Android devices connected to the same LAN. You will need to install "ClipSync Server" on your Windows PC. You can download ClipSync Server.