This edition focuses only on new tablet apps or ones that added tablet support. Regular apps and games are coming soon.
Unfortunately, I could only find 4 tablet apps in almost a month, which makes me really sad. Sure, a lot of apps are automatically compatible with tablets, but we always appreciate the extra effort that goes into making a dedicated tablet UI.
Android Police coverage: Like Floating Apps? Then You'll Love LilyPad HD, A Floating Messaging Client For Tablets
When we first covered LilyPad, only Google Talk was supported, and further network support was going to be available as in-app purchases. Having received a lot of negative feedback about this model, the LilyPad team decided to drop in-app purchases altogether and offer new networks for free:
We've decided to drop the in-app purchase model for LilyPad HD. All additional clients added will be available for FREE.
LilyPad HD is the first floating instant messaging app for your Android tablet. With LilyPad HD, you can now have powerful multitasking capabilities just like on your desktop computer. LilyPad HD was designed to 'float' over all of your running applications. That means you can now watch a YouTube video, surf the internet, or use any of your other apps while simultaneously chatting with your Google Talk and Facebook friends.
- Adjustable/resizable chat windows
- Quick Hide Mode: double tap action bar to enable quick hide mode
- Minimize chat windows completely
- Tabbed chatting for multiple conversations
- Google Talk
- Facebook Messenger
Upcoming client support
CloudOn lets you use your tablet to create, view, and edit files directly in Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint. These applications will work the way you expect them to, and your files will look the way you want them to. That’s pretty cool. But, we know you want more. CloudOn also integrates with Box, Dropbox and Google Drive. Use CloudOn to connect with these services and open, edit and store your files in one place. Wait we’re not done. CloudOn is equipped with an Adobe Reader and a File Viewer that lets you open and view virtually any file type, including PDF, JPG, PNG, GIF, etc. With the ability to create, edit, share and save your information, CloudOn is the essential tool for mobile productivity.
The CloudOn Workspace allows you to:
- Use Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint on your Android tablet to create or edit documents.
- Rename, delete and manage documents with your Box, Dropbox or Google Drive accounts
- View virtually any type of file, including: PDF, JPG, PNG, GIF, etc.
- Send files via email directly from the workspace
- Display, edit or create charts, change formatting, spell check, insert comments, etc into any Word, Excel or PowerPoint files
- Track changes while reviewing Word documents
- Use pivot tables and insert formulas in Excel workbooks
- Display and edit transitions in PowerPoint slides and present in full PowerPoint mode (not in PDF)
- Automatically save documents to avoid losing changes
Write is a word processor for handwriting, available for Windows tablet PCs and Android 3.0 and later. Write provides a unique new way to work with handwriting: ruled mode. This mode groups strokes into lines, allowing them to be edited nearly as easily as lines of typed text in a word processor. When ruled mode is off, Write behaves like a typical vector drawing application. Watch the demo video to get started!
* tools: draw, erase, select, insert space, and add bookmark
* move strokes and insert space in multiples of the page's ruling
* reflow handwritten text with the insert space tool
* insert bookmarks and label them with handwriting
* cut, copy, paste selection
* unlimited undo/redo (volume keys can be used for undo/redo)
* pan/zoom with two fingers
* user defined page size and ruling
* pages can grow automatically as you write
* split screen with web browser to take notes from web pages or videos
* html/svg document format viewable in Chrome and Firefox
* view thumbnails as a grid or list
* when viewed as list, arrange thumbnails by drag and drop
GameQ by Gamefly
Enjoy the very best interactive video game publication on your Android device in GameQ. Beautiful art, screens, and videos bring in-depth stories and interviews to life for an unrivaled reading experience. Download it to your Android tablet today completely free from the gamers at GameFly.
Know A Worthy New App? Let Us Know!
If you have an application in mind for the next issue of the roundup, feel free to send us an email and let us know.
Important: there are 2 requirements in order for the app to be considered, listed below.
- the app's launch date has to be no longer than 2 weeks ago
- it has to be original, ground-breaking, well-reviewed, interesting, fun, etc - the cream of the crop
Now, if and only if the above requirements have been satisfied, fire up an email to this address: [email protected].
1 sponsored placement per week is available (your app would be featured at the top and marked as sponsored) - please contact us for details.