- 1 Featured App
- 2 Apps
- 2.1 OverSkreen (floating browser)
- 2.2 TSF Shell
- 2.3 AIDE - Android Java IDE
- 2.4 TED
- 2.5 Readability
- 2.6 n7player Music Player
- 2.7 Slice - shopping organized
- 2.8 Andmade Share
- 2.9 ISO Extractor
- 2.10 Roku
- 2.11 Apex Launcher
- 2.12 Nova Launcher
- 2.13 Boid
- 2.14 SuperSU
- 2.15 GrooVe IP Lite
- 2.16 Photo 360° by Sfera
- 2.17 NCAA March Madness Live
- 2.18 Weatherlove
- 2.19 InstaCamera
- 2.20 ZeroPC Photo Connect
- 2.21 Adobe Shadow
- 2.22 GO Weather Widget
- 2.23 Camera ICS
- 2.24 Meshin Recall
- 2.25 Spotie - Discover Fun Near You
- 3 Know A Worthy New App? Let Us Know!
Welcome to the roundup of the best new Android applications, games, and live wallpapers that went live in the Market or were spotted by us in the previous 3 weeks or so.
This is PART 1 of the app roundup (it was too big for one post). PART 2 is here.
Today's roundup is sponsored by SeekDroid. SeekDroid is one of those security apps that are both simple and functional, and it's long been one of my favorites. When I get a new phone or install a new ROM, SeekDroid is among the first apps that I install. Check out our full review here, then grab it from the Market using the widget below.
- Locate your device
- Remotely Enable GPS
- Audible alarm (even on silent) w/ custom message
- Text Messaging support
- Setup SeekDroid Remotely via SMS
- Lock device w/ custom code
- Retrieve recent calls
- Remotely wipe entire phone
- Remotely wipe SD Card
- Hide from app drawer
- Disable App from being uninstalled
- Virtually no battery drain
- Works without a SIM Card
- Retrieve SIM ID, IMEI, active phone number, and battery remaining
- Control Multiple devices under one account (*)
- Display its location on a map with history (*)
- Track the device using breadcrumbs (*)
- Get notified if the device has left a fenced-in area (*)
(*)'d features require a monthly subscription, which we touched on here before.
OverSkreen (floating browser)
The FAQ deserves a read ;-]
Gone are the days of trying to switch back and forth, and wasted screen real estate. OverSkreen Browser can live on top of your screen, above any of your other applications and allow you to use your device’s other features while browsing. Enjoy the desktop experience on your Android device. View and interact with multiple instance at once. Device with OverSkreen enable true multi-tasking, utilizing the screen real estate to let users browse the internet.
- Multiple instance
- Truly floating : move, resize or minimize
- Adobe Flash support (Android 3.0+)
- System wide bookmarks
- Built-in Desktop/iPhone/iPad/Honeycomb/Froyo user-agent
- Suggest-while-typing URL bar
- Quick Hide (double tap the title bar)
- Bookmarks folder support (Android 3.0+)
☆ Can I watch YouTube ?
Sure. You can do whatever you do with your stock browser.
☆ Can I watch Netflix ?
Sure. You can do whatever you do with your stock browser.
☆ Can I make applesauce out of my iPhone friends ?
Now, you can.
TSF Shell is hands down the most advanced Android launcher I've seen to date. Some people find it too complex, some find it unnecessary, but two things are for sure - it's very-very pretty and well done, and it's incredibly expensive for a launcher - $17. Hit up the link above for more info - I'm not including a horribly translated app description from the Play Store because it's just embarrassing.
Oh yeah, and definitely watch the video if you haven't seen TSF in action yet.
AIDE - Android Java IDE
While AIDE also works on phones, it's only practical on tablets (unless you use your phone's HDMI port to hook it up to a TV and an external keyboard, I guess). Therefore, AIDE will occupy a spot in both our tablet and regular app roundups. Either way, I'm highly impressed by this IDE so far. Check out the Play Store description for a detailed list of features.
AIDE is an integrated development environment (IDE) for developing real Android Apps directly on Android devices. AIDE supports the full edit-compile-run cycle: write code with the feature rich editor offering advanced features like code completion, real-time error checking, refactoring and smart code navigation, and run your App with a single click. AIDE will turn your Android tablet with keyboard into a real development box. We use the Transformer Prime running Ice Cream Sandwich to code with AIDE. AIDE will turn your Android Phone into a small development computer to browse and touch your code on the go. AIDE is fully compatible with Eclipse projects. Just copy the sourcecode to your device, open any source file in AIDE to load the project and start coding.
Android Police coverage:
Riveting talks by remarkable people, free to the world. TED's official Android app presents talks from some of the world's most fascinating people: education radicals, tech geniuses, medical mavericks, business gurus, and music legends. Find more than 1200 TEDTalk videos and audios (with more added each week) on the official TED app -- now for tablets and smartphones.
Readability turns any Web page into a clean view for reading now or later on your computer or Android device. With the Readability app, you can catch up reading you've saved with the free Readability add-on for your Web browser. Already a favorite on Kindle e-readers, now you can enjoy the benefits of Readability on your Android devices.
n7player Music Player
Check out the video to see a pretty cool transition from a cover matrix to an artist tag cloud. I wouldn't replace my main player (PowerAMP) with n7 just yet, but it's definitely one to watch.
n7player is innovative 3D music player available only on Android. It visualizes your music as a single plane full of album covers. You can zoom in and out using multi-touch to see different views of your music.
- Innovative, fully multi-touch music albums plane
- Intuitive music catalog showing: albums, artists, genres etc
- 5 band graphic equalizer with presets, reverb effects, bass boost and sound virtualization (SRS/Dolby Surround, requires system version 2.3+)
- Automatic and manual album art download
- ID3 tags editor
- Filtered file browser
- Music widget
- Lockscreen widget with direct unlock option
Slice - shopping organized
Android Police coverage:
The simplest way to track & organize your purchases. Do you buy stuff online? Get organized. It’s the only app that tracks your shipments automatically -- no need to manually enter in each tracking number. Slice works with Gmail and Yahoo! Mail to find the receipts in your email and puts your purchase information at your fingertips. We'll save you time .. and maybe some money, too. Here's how:
- TRACK YOUR PACKAGES
- Track FedEx, UPS, and USPS packages automatically. No digging through emails, no logging into multiple merchant accounts, no copy/paste of long tracking numbers.
- View which items are on their way and from which merchant, all on a single map
- Get push notifications when a package is shipped, out for delivery or has been delivered, so you always know where your stuff is as soon as there’s an update.
- KEEP YOUR PURCHASES ORGANIZED
- Back up your e-receipts and access them quickly -- without having to dig through your inbox
- Get notified by Slice when a recent purchase drops in price, so you can contact the merchant and recoup the difference.
- Keep track of your Groupons, Living Social and Gilt City vouchers. Don’t miss out on a daily deal because you forgot about it!
- Automatically consolidate your purchase history and receipts all in one place, enabling you to
・ keep track of spending
・ search past purchases to recall key details and identify deductible expenses
・ facilitate returns and exchanges
・ find style & model numbers and other item details
・ view customer service phone numbers and policies
Andmade Share replaces the system "share menu" list. Don't forget to set Andmade Share as default on the first use.
- Share to Multiple Applications at a time: use checkboxes -> tap one of checkboxed elements.
- Reorder List: long tap -> drag the element up or down.
- Fast share to Evernote.
This applications allows you to browse and extract files from .iso (CD) images.
Turn your Android device into a control center for your Roku streaming player. Launch your Roku channels, navigate your Roku player, control media playback and find new channels to enjoy. Works with all Roku players. To get started, you must connect your Android device to the same home network as your Roku player. You will be asked to sign-in to your Roku account.
Our free application lets you:
• Launch or rate any Roku channel with a tap of your finger.
• Use a touch remote control. Includes instant replay, back and options buttons as well as a keyboard for text entry.
• Easily browse hundreds of channels and games in the Roku Channel Store.
• Quickly add and remove channels to/from your Roku player.
• Control and switch between multiple Roku players.
Powerful, fast, and highly customizable home replacement for Android 4.0+.
- Customizable homescreen grid size and up to 9 homescreens
- Scrollable dock with up to 7 icons per page and up to 5 pages
- Infinite & elastic scrolling (homescreen, drawer and dock)
- Fancy transition effects (tablet, cube, etc.)
- Hide elements as you want (persistent search bar, status bar, or even the dock)
- Customizable icons and labels for shortcuts and folders
- Choose different folder preview styles and background
- Multiple drawer styles (transparent/opaque, horizontal/vertical, paginated/continuous)
- Drawer apps sorting (title, install date, mostly used)
- Hide apps from the drawer
- Lock your desktop to prevent accidental changes
- Enjoy homescreen gestures (pinch, swipe up/down, double tap)
- Backup/restore settings and data
- Optimized for both phones and tablets
- Lots of other customization options!
Android Police coverage: [New App] Nova Launcher Hits The Market, Brings An Awesome Custom Launcher To Android 4.0 Phones
Highly customizable, performance driven, home screen replacement for Android 4.0+.
- Custom Grid
Configure the rows and columns to fit all your app and widget needs.
- Scrollable Dock
Keep all your favorite apps on the dock, with up to 7 icons per page and up to 3 pages.
- Scroll Effects
Enjoy eye candy when scrolling your desktop and drawer. Effects include Cube and Cardstack and more for Prime users.
- Infinite Scroll
Never be far from your favorite page, loop through your desktop continuously.
- Folder Icons
You can chose a background, preview style or even replace the whole icon.
Export your settings and layout before a wipe to quickly get back up and running.
Nova Launcher Prime Features (Paid version):
Quickly start Nova Actions or Apps from gestures on the desktop, such as pinching, swiping or two-finger swiping.
- Hide Apps
Keep a clutter free drawer by hidding never used apps.
- Dock Swipes
Get more use out of your dock apps by setting swipe-actions
- Additional Scroll Effects
Android Police coverage:
This is the ALPHA release of Boid, a Twitter application designed for Android 4.0 with Ice Cream Sandwich in mind. Designed to be intuitive and fun to use.
Android Police coverage:
SuperSU is the Superuser access management tool of the future. SuperSU allows for advanced management of Superuser access rights for all the apps on your device that need root. SuperSU has been built from the ground up to counter a number of problems with other Superuser access management tools.
GrooVe IP Lite
Finally a free version of GrooVe IP to try out!
GrooVe IP Lite is an Android app that that connects to Google Voice using Voice over IP (VoIP). What this means for you is you can make free unlimited calls to any phone in the US or Canada without using your voice minutes. GrooVe IP Lite works on any android device, phone or tablet, and allows you to make calls using a WiFi data connection. If you have a smartphone with Wi-Fi connectivity but no mobile plan, you can use this app to convert it to a free, full-featured working phone.
Upgrade to the full version of GrooVe IP to remove ads and enable features:
- Calls over a mobile data connection not just WiFi
- Native dialer integration
- Proximity sensor support
- Change sign in status or sign in invisible
Photo 360° by Sfera
Android Police coverage:
Photo 360° is the first free application on Android which lets users take fantastic 360° panoramic photos without taking multiple pictures or any other difficult manipulation. Record the environment around you on a 20 second turn and capture both the image and sound all in one revolution. The sound recording is automatically added to the photo and played during its visualization. The combination of 360 degree pictures and sounds creates a new dimension for the photography. Thanks to its simple use, Photo 360° immortalizes your best moments anywhere at any time by taking “magical” 360 degree photos.
NCAA March Madness Live
FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER - watch every game of NCAA March Madness Live on your Android phone! Download for free to check scores, fill out and follow your bracket, get game alerts, and listen to live game radio. Upgrade with in-app purchase and watch live streaming video of all 67 games of the 2012 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Tournament for one low price of $3.99 for all 67 games. From the First Round on March 13 to the Championship game on April 2, catch all your favorite rivalries, upsets, and buzzer beaters over Wi-Fi/4G/3G. Plus, get alerts for your favorite teams, know when games go into overtime and crunch time, and set your TV channel settings to know where to watch any game on TV. You’ll never miss an upset.
Nice, simple, ICSy, and clean.
Weatherlove - weather, clock, love. If you love a good weather forecast, you'll love our application. Our application includes four sets of widgets, including one with a clock. The highly polished modern interface resembles Ice cream sandwich look and feel, and includes both landscape and portrait layouts. It shows you all the weather info you need for the desired location.
Instantly take a photo. BOOM. Done. InstaCamera is the quickest way to take a photo with your phone. There's no shutter button: just open the app and it takes a photo, then closes just as quickly. Why is it so awesome? InstaCamera is perfect for when you see a bird with a stupid expression on its face and you want to post it to Reddit and get a bizillion upvotes. With a normal camera app you'd have to press about three things... by that time the owl would have resumed its look of watchful distrust, and there goes your big shot at internet fame. Nobody should have to suffer this disappointment.
Even though the app is super-simple, you can change how it works. Open the settings (companion app with a wrench icon) and you can make these adjustments:
* take multiple shots in a row (up to five)
* change the shutter volume (default is 60%)
* change the photo resolution (default is max)
* stay in camera mode after taking instant photos (then you touch the screen to take more, and back button to quit)
ZeroPC Photo Connect
Android Police coverage:
Collect & Manage all Your Photos in One Place. ZeroPC Photo Connect is designed to help you easily aggregate and manage all of the photos stored in your Android phone and in popular services like Facebook, Flickr, Picasa, Photobucket, Evernote, Dropbox, SkyDrive, Instagram, Box.net & SugarSync. Photo Connect features automatic syncing and backing up of photos from an Android phone to the cloud for unified access and management with a “sync-on” Wi-Fi option.
Once photos are aggregated and synced to Photo Connect, they are automatically populated into a unique “timeline” tile presentation of all your photos. You can travel though time with your photos to see them from the most recent to the oldest by scrolling or using a navigation bar. Use Photo Connect to tag any of your photos. You can use the built-in search feature which allows you to find your photos using keyword tags. ZeroPC Photo Connect provides a “virtual album” mash-up feature that consolidates all of your photos from multiple cloud services plus local photos from your phone for easy tagging, organizing and creating special moments to share with friends and family.
● Wirelessly pair your Android devices to your computer
● Synchronously browse with your computer
● Target a device for debugging, select an element in the DOM, then:
● Make changes to your HTML markup
● Tweak your CSS rules
● See changes instantly, on your device
GO Weather Widget
Android Police coverage: GO Weather Widget Released, Brings Beautiful, Simple Weather To Your GO Launcher EX Home Screen
GO Weather Widget is another useful widget exclusively designed for GO Launcher EX. GO Weather Widget not only delivers the most accurate weather information anywhere any time but also provides the most convenient way to know about the weather info. You can even switch among multiple cities just directly in your home screen. Available Size: 4x2, 4x1, 1x1. Actions: City switch, Automatic positioning, Auto Refresh.
Camera ICS is an improved version of the official Camera app included on Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0). We have also added support for Honeycomb (Android 3.0) tablets.
--- NEW FEATURES ---
- Color effects (mono,sepia,negative,...)
- Silent mode (no shutter sound, might not work on some devices)
- Picture quality setting (low/medium/high/ultra)
- Video bitrate selection (normal/2x)
- Video stabilization on/off (only 4.0)
- 720p face effects (only 4.0)
- Panorama mode and time-lapse video on Honeycomb tablets
Meshin Recall is a powerful addition to Evernote for anyone who takes notes in meetings.
• Sync all of your calendars into a single, elegant view
• Quickly create an Evernote for any meeting from Recall using text, audio, or photos
• View notes and share them with meeting attendees and others
• Notes are tagged automatically, making them easy to find and organize in Evernote
Spotie - Discover Fun Near You
Discover cool events around you in a minute. With the Nearby feature you can easily discover all events around you and even filter them by distance, category or date. Who's there? Check who's coming, who's already there and know what's happening before you decide where to go. Interact with others. The real fun starts here! After your arrive, you're able to interact with other people, poke, start a chat, tag a photo and much more.
End of PART 1. Proceed to PART 2 here.
Know A Worthy New App? Let Us Know!
If you have an application in mind for the next issue of the roundup, feel free to send us an email and let us know.
Important: there are 2 requirements in order for the app to be considered, listed below.
- the app's launch date has to be no longer than 2 weeks ago
- it has to be original, ground-breaking, well-reviewed, interesting, fun, etc - the cream of the crop
Now, if and only if the above requirements have been satisfied, fire up an email to this address: [email protected].
1 sponsored placement per week is available (your app would be featured at the top and marked as sponsored) - please contact us for details.