Jawbone's popular JAMBOX Bluetooth speaker is going to be getting a younger, but much larger sibling dubbed simply BIG JAMBOX soon. This information comes from a recent FCC filing (via WirelessGoodness) which doesn't seem to reveal much of anything past the new name. However, armed with this knowledge, I was able to dig up an earlier report by iLounge which caught wind of something they called JAMBOX BIG back in November. Researching further, I stumbled into upcoming product listings on Amazon for the Graphite Hex and Red Dot variants together with a number of interesting tidbits to go with them:
- Product Dimensions: 10.1 x 3.2 x 3.7 inches ; 2.7 pounds
- Item model number: J2011-03-US
- Bluetooth Wire Free Speaker and Speakerphone
- Up to 12 hours of battery life
- Wall Power Adaptor, 60" USB Cable, and 3.5mm Audio Cable Included
- Wireless range of 33 ft.
- Fill up any room with unbelievable sound
Compare the above to the original JAMBOX:
- Product Dimensions: 6 x 2.2 x 1.6 inches ; 1.6 pounds
- Item model number: JBE02
- Wireless portable speaker in red connects with mobile phones, computers, tablets, iPods, or any other Bluetooth device
- Seamlessly stream and share music, movies, games, phone, and conference calls anywhere
- Two highly powerful acoustic drivers and ultra-small dome produce a wide audio spectrum
- Can be updated with apps, software and new features via Jawbone's MyTalk portal
- Up to 10 hours of power from internal rechargeable battery
As you can see, BIG JAMBOX's dimensions really do make it much larger than the original. Additionally, it's rated for 2 more hours while operating on battery power and comes with a wall power adapter which the original didn't include. Unfortunately, there are no pictures available, and all we have are the two colors (though iLounge also suggested white).
The original JAMBOX is now one of my favorite mobile accessories - it's relatively tiny, so I take it everywhere I go. Paired with my Epic 4G Touch, I have music that actually sounds quite good (especially after the recent LiveAudio update) in places I would otherwise only have a tinny speaker. Heck, I even use it daily when working in the dining room (it's become my local office for now). Clearly, BIG JAMBOX is shooting for a different, more stationary market - a perfectly understandable move on Jawbone's part.
If you want to sign up for updates about BIG JAMBOX, head over to either Amazon page (Graphite Hex or Red Dot) and push the yellow Sign Up button on the right. We'll keep an eye on this bad boy as well on our end.