Update: The link to the update is now working. Get on it!
Infuse 4G owners have been chomping at the bit for some Gingerbread love since the device's release in the middle of last year, and it seemed this morning they were finally going to get it. A moderator at the AT&T forums posted up the typical changelog marketing spiel, chocked full of customer benefits and exciting new fonts like 'Choco Cooky' and 'Cool Jazz' (I am not kidding).
Unfortunately, it seems AT&T neglected to inform Samsung that it was update go-time - the link to said update 404s. Whoops. Of course, if you have Samsung Kies installed, you should be able to check for updates using that. Forum users are reporting, though, that a manual check yields no Gingerbread love either at this point.
We'll update this post when AT&T and Samsung decide to, you know, fix that. In meantime, here's a changelog:
The upgrade to Android 2.3.6 for the Samsung Infuse 4G™ (i997) provides the following customer benefits and will be available starting February 1st:
- Improved Copy and Paste functionality
- Redesigned Multi Touch Software Keyboard
- Download manager for long running HTTP downloads
- Improved power management and application control
- Notification Shade: “Flight Mode” added (“Silent” removed)
- New Fonts options added include Choco Cooky, Cool Jazz, Rosemary
- Keyboard Changes: Android Keyboard with Wider Spaced keys and Quick Keys at the top
- New Widgets: The name of the content provider will be listed on the widget list along with the widget name. Previously only the widget name was provided.
- New Widget: Traffic (Android) added to list of available widgets
- Menu Changes/New Apps: Downloads and Google Books added new, Promotional pre-load of Angry Birds removed*.
*Note: The update will remove the promotional Angry Birds pre-load from the device. If you’ve started playing the game, you would need to re-download from the Marketplace and start from the beginning of the game.
You can use a home/office PC to visit www.samsung.com/us/infuseupgrade/gb1 to download the software required to complete this update.
Devices can be updated with new software only through tethered side loading from a computer that is a Desktop/Laptop Computer Running on either Microsoft Windows 7, Vista, or XP (Download not available via Apple computers nor Over The Air)