Welcome to the weekly roundup of the best new Android applications, games, and live wallpapers that went live in the Market or were spotted by us in the previous week or so.
This edition focuses only on new tablet apps or ones that added Honeycomb support. Regular apps and games are coming soon.
Shop All Your Favorite Catalogs in the Same Place. A new, rich, and engaging way to interact with all your favorite catalogs. Flip through pages of beautiful catalogs, discover inspiring photos and videos, save products that catch your eye, and create collages to share with your friends.
- Catalogs for everyone: Apparel & fashion for men, women, and children; beauty; jewelry; home goods; gifts; and more to come!
- Rich media: View products up close, tap tags for price and details, view additional product photos and videos.
- Easy purchasing: A single tap lets you find a product nearby or visit a merchant's website to make a purchase.
- Get notified of new issues: Favorite the catalogs you love and get notified when new issues arrive.
- Get creative: Create collages of products you've saved from different catalogs. View other collages for inspiration.
- Share with friends: Email a product or collage to your friends.
Note: Use Wifi connection for best performance.
Volume in Notification
This app puts a media volume and mute control in the Notifications window that can be accessed from the status bar on your tablet. It lets you adjust the volume without using the hardware volume button and without exiting the app that you're currently running. For example, you can adjust the volume of a video directly from the Notifications window while continuing to watch the video.
We developed this app because we often find it hard to use the hardware volume button on a tablet, depending on its orientation and how we have it set up in the stand.
Note: This app will only control media volume. In general, media volume includes music, video, and game sounds.
Reader for Tablet (US/Canada) by Sony
Access your favorite eBooks with Reader for Tablet (US/Canada). The intuitive design is optimized to bring a natural, book-like reading experience to your tablet with two-page reading views and animated page turns. Make bookmarks and highlights – and adjust font size – as you read. Add and manage your own content inside Reader and organize your favorites. Create a Reader Store account to synchronize your reading position, bookmarks and highlights and buy books and more from the online Reader Store.
- Natural, book-like reading experience
- Create and edit bookmarks and highlights
- Adjustable font sizes to customize your experience
- Synchronize your reading position, bookmarks, and highlights to your Reader Store account
- Add and organize your own content inside Reader or access content from Reader Store
- Automatically receive recommendations based on books you've bought and read recently
I noticed the app says Android 2.3.7+, but it installed OK on my Epic Touch with 2.3.4. However, there is no menu present, so I suspect that the developer only wanted this app to work on Android 3.0+ (devices that are able to utilize the ActionBar).
Update: Apparently, it's a bug somewhere in the Market. The app should be compatible with 2.3.3+, and the menu is indeed present but since the Menu button didn't work before, I didn't notice it. Everything is working as expected now.
DroidEdit Free is a text/code editor for android tablets and phones with the following features:
- Several color themes
- Infinite undo & redo
- Search & replace
- Auto and block indentation
It is specially useful for new generation android tablets with external keyboards like the Asus Transformer.
Bugs and issues should go to UserVoice: http://droidedit.uservoice.com/
Interesting idea (not new, but detailed, well executed, and I think the first one made for just tablets in this space). I also appreciated the bit in bold below.
MyHUD (Head Up Display, HUD - head-up displays) is not just another GPS speedometer for Android. This program gives you previously unseen features. Adjust the screen of the tablet-based Android 3.0 (Honeysomb) and higher as you wish to display the information that you really need. Arrange the screen items as you wish and give them any colours. Form your dashboard and display it on the windshield in mirror (HUD) mode if necessary.
The following screen items are available now:
1. Digital speedometer
2. Digital clock
3. GPS compass
4. Number of GPS satellites used
5. Number of visible GPS satellites
6. The current speed limit
7. Battery status
8. GPS status
9. The accuracy of GPS coordinates
10. Analog speedometer
Limitation of free version - you can use a maximum of 3 screen items. No ads for your safety while driving.
Know A Worthy New App? Let Us Know!
If you have an application in mind for the next issue of the roundup, feel free to send us an email and let us know.
Important: there are 2 requirements in order for the app to be considered, listed below.
- the app's launch date has to be no longer than 2 weeks ago
- it has to be original, ground-breaking, well-reviewed, interesting, fun, etc - the cream of the crop
Now, if and only if the above requirements have been satisfied, fire up an email to this address: [email protected].
1 sponsored placement per week is available (your app would be featured at the top and marked as sponsored) - please contact us for details.