If there's one thing to be said about Verizon's 4G LTE network - aside from the speed, of course - it's that the devices equipped to run on it have been less than economically priced up to this point. Each device released with LTE connectivity has dropped with an initial price of at least $250 (usually more) -- a less than ideal price considering the accompanying two-year agreement.
Enter the Pantech Breakout, VZW's first affordable LTE handset. From a spec standpoint, the Breakout is a solid mid-range device, packing hardware similar to the HTC ThunderBolt and the Samsung Droid Charge:
- 4-inch 480x800 display
- 1GHz processor (single-core)
- 512MB RAM
- 5MP rear camera, VGA front facing
- 4G LTE
- 8GB microSD card included
- Android 2.3
The real difference between the Breakout and other LTE-infused handsets is the price: $100 (after $50 mail-in-rebate) with a two-year agreement. That's nearly a third of the launch price of the aforementioned LTE phones (and all subsequent devices), making this phone the go-to choice if you're looking for LTE on a budget.
The Breakout will be available online and in VZW retail outlets beginning on September 22 -- anyone plan on picking one up?
VERIZON WIRELESS TO LAUNCH PANTECH BREAKOUT™
Pantech Breakout Combines Tremendous 4G LTE Speed and the Latest Features with Affordability
BASKING RIDGE, N.J., and HAUPPAUGE, N.Y. – Verizon Wireless and Pantech today announced the Pantech Breakout™ will be exclusively available in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com beginning Sept. 22.
The Pantech Breakout smartphone, brought to market by Personal Communications Devices, LLC (PCD), shines with super-fast downloads packaged in a slim and attractive design. Customers will have access to custom Pantech widgets and can share media files between Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA)-enabled devices by using the Net Media app on their Pantech Breakout.
· Powered by 4G LTE – customers can expect download speeds of 5 to 12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G mobile broadband coverage areas
· Android™ 2.3 Gingerbread
· 1 GHz processor
· 4-inch capacitive touch display (480 x 800)
· Support for Google™ Mobile Services, including Gmail™, YouTube™, Google Search™ and Google Maps™, as well as access to more than 250,000 apps available to download from Android Market™
· 4G LTE mobile hotspot supporting up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled devices
· Virtual QWERTY keyboard featuring SWYPE™ technology for quick and easy typing of messages and emails
· 5-megapixel autofocus rear-facing camera with HD video capture up to 720p
· VGA front-facing camera for still shots and video chatting
· Wi-Fi connectivity 802.11 b/g/n
· Bluetooth® 3.0 support includes headset, hands-free, object push, advanced audio distribution (stereo), audio/video remote control, file transfer and phonebook access
· 8 GB pre-installed microSD™
Pricing and availability:
· The Pantech Breakout will be available on Sept. 22 in Verizon Wireless Communication Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com for $99.99 after a $50 mail in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. Customers will receive the rebate in the form of a debit card; upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cards are accepted.
· Customers that purchase a Pantech Breakout smartphone will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 for monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data.
For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.