About a week ago, a seemingly official build of Gingerbread for the T-Mobile G2 found its way to T-Mo's support forums, suggesting an update was fast approaching. That suggestion was dead-on, as the official over-the-air update process started today, according to the Pinkest Carrier's G2 update page.
The update brings many welcome fixes and enhancements:
- New features:
- Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread)
- Tell HTC
- Google Books added
- Notification bar color scheme is changed to black
- New battery indicator, phone, and web icons
- Color-coded network icon and signal indicator added. Green when connected to Google servers. Grey when not connected.
- Pressing the power key while on a call disables the proximity sensor
- Fixed or improved issues:
- Wi-Fi calling improvements
- New SMS and email notification improvements
- Improvements to sending MMS from the Gallery
You'll automatically be prompted to install the update when it's available on your device, but for those who just can't bear to wait, head into the menu, tap Settings > About Phone > System Updates to check for it manually.