Thumb Keyboard, a multi-layout keyboard compatible with both phones and tablets, is, in my opinion, the absolute best single piece of software you can grace your precious tablet with (see our review for more details).
The split-key design allows for comfortable typing without having to reach too far, and the number of bells and whistles keeps increasing with every release. Different designs for each orientation, multiple themes, multiple size customizations, a multitude of layouts (phone standard, phone split, 5", 7", and 10"), 34 languages... I can go on and on.
I've tried the stock keyboard, SwiftKey Tablet, and the Samsung keyboard, but none of them come even close to Thumb Keyboard.
The new version 4.0 has been in development for a number of months - in fact, some of you may have partaken in the beta. Take a look at the new features, which include multi-touch, the new shortcuts functionality for text snippets you frequently use, and a one-handed tablet layout:
- Correct previous written words with suggestions (will work fully on Android 2.3 and higher)
- Shortcuts - store and edit much written phrases, mail signatures, logins and insert them with a simple tap
- Toggle-able Toolbar with user customizable keys - Assign your own navigation (Honeycomb: pgdown, pgup, home, end) and text editing functions (Gingerbread and higher: copy, paste, forward delete), F keys, accented characters, domain suffixes, smileys etc etc to toolbar keys
- New addition to the prediction algorithm: predict a word based on a previous word
- New: resize the width of the letter keys on the split layouts. With the option to adjust the height, one can now adjust the keyboard completely to ones own hands and device!!
- Alternative suggestions for voice input. Just tap on the recognized word to see the alternatives
- New: Small keyboard for 10" tablets for one handed operation
- Redesign of the keyboard based on multi-touch chording. Entering numbers and operating the cursor keys was never more easy!
- New style popup keyboards
- New design of the keyboard layout. Easier access of much used keys
- Better esthetic integration with Honeycomb by the use of Honeycomb style windows
Here are some obligatory screenshots of the new version so that you can see what exactly it is you're getting yourself into (this 10" tablet layout is only one of many):
Grab this most excellent keyboard from the Market for less than 2 bucks by using the widget below. If you have a tablet, I guarantee that you won't regret it.