While all you Americans slept, Acer took the wraps off its latest Android handset, the Liquid Metal, over here in Europe. Sporting Acer's custom Breeze UI, the Liquid Metal runs Android 2.2 atop an 800 MHz processor. The MSM7230 CPU is a whopping 32 MHz higher than the 768 MHz of the original Liquid's QSD8250 Snapdragon, but this 800 MHz core is the same Scorpion processor that powers the rather lovely T-Mobile G2. If the G2's performance is any indication, this processor is no slouch (particularly when overclocked), so things are looking quite nice indeed for the Liquid Metal in terms of smoothness of operation.
Also included in the "soft, sinuous, and curvy design", is:
- 3.6" curved WVGA screen with multitouch
- Stainless steel battery cover
- LED notification light
- 802.11n WiFi
- HDSPA connectivity
- 720P recording @ 30 fps from the 5 MPx AF camera
- Xvid playback
- Dolby Surround audio
All of this for only £300 ($475) SIM-free sounds like a fairly good deal, don't you think?
Black and brown models will be available by mid-November, with a silver model to follow at the beginning of December.
Full press release:
Acer Liquid Metal:
Pure technology combing power and style
London, 29th October 2010 – The Acer Liquid Metal is the latest generation of Acer smartphones, featuring the best solutions currently available on the mobile market. Designed for all those who live a modern, dynamic, and fully integrated lifestyle, this is the perfect tool to meet the growing need to be connected anytime and anywhere. Thanks to extremely quick web surfing and an incomparable use of multimedia contents, these dreams become reality.
When we speak about technological evolution, Acer is always one step ahead thanks to its proven capacity to translate the most sophisticated technological innovations into products that are easy to use. Moulding the most advanced technologies and integrating them into the latest smartphone is the logical consequence.
Style and elegance characterise the soft, sinuous, and curvy design for the perfect grip. Liquid Metal is equipped with a rounded 3.6" display especially studied to grant a truly sensational visualization. The materials selected, like the stainless steel of the battery cover, are solid and resistant and the chrome trims give a sense of high quality for extreme tactile and visual pleasure. As in the entire Acer Liquid series, we find the LED signals on the upper part of the telephone notify the user of missed calls, the need to charge the battery, and new incoming messages clearly.
Liquid Metal steps on the gas, ensuring higher speed in all activities, especially in navigating the web, thanks to the combination of:
- the Qualcomm 7230 800 MHz process for lightning fast navigation
- Android Froyo that responds at a speed 5 times faster than earlier versions
- Connectivity that is super fast both at home or while travelling, thanks to the WiFi n and HSDPA 14.4Mbps
- with the multitouch function, resizing web pages, photos, or maps is easier than ever.
Liquid Metal also brings the best multimedia experience and entertainment.
- Record video in HD at 720p (30fps) and watch more high-resolution videos in Xvid format
- Take photos with the 5MP A/F camera enhanced with LED flash, image stabilizer, and facial and smile recognition
- Enjoy the thrilling audio brought by the Dolby Surround technology and customize the sound you hear with the EQ profiles and Dynamic Bass Boost.
Liquid Metal shows its excellence not only in its style and power, but brings delightful user experience by the intuitive interface and software developed by Acer.
- Breeze, the new Acer user interface was developed to manage applications even more easily. Information is visible even when the screen is locked; view the application history and quickly start up your most used appliations; customize your homescreen as you like it and re-arrange the way you access your favourite applications according to your own specific needs
- Acer SocialJogger Application aggregates your Facebook and Twitter feeds, allowing you to surf through the updates with the trackwheel, receive updates directly through the dedicated widget on the homescreen, and comment or share directly from the user-friendly interface.
Liquid Metal is transformed into a true wireless server for all your home devices through DLNA/UPnP technology. All the multimedia content memorized on the smartphone can be shared with your PC, TV or game console. Moreover, it is capable of providing your computer an Internet connection via USB. This is truly useful for travelling by train or when on vacation. The Acer EasyLink PC software is free of charge and even enables a protected Internet connection (https).
Do you want even more? This smartphone of the latest generation can become a WiFi hotspot for all enabled devices, so as to connect them to the Internet via the Liquid Metal 3G connection. With WiFi n, Liquid Metal is 10 times faster than previous devices
 With HSDPA, Liquid Metal is 2 times faster than previous devices
The Liquid Metal will be offered in two colours: silver and brown for a SRRP of £299 inc Vat. The brown will be available first from mid November with the silver arriving in early December.