Dell has completely stolen the news spotlight today with a flood of PR, carefully leaked (so I think) to Engadget.
We now have more details about a device that used to be named "Streak 7" - Dell's 7" Android tablet leaked to Engadget a week ago. The previous leak mentioned that Dell's tablet line with an already announced 5" version called Streak 5 would be augmented by 2 more devices - a 7" and a 10" Streaks.
In light of this new information, we now know, for starters, the name Streak seems to only apply to the 5" version, while the 7" model will be named "Looking Glass".
Secondly, some details about the Looking Glass hardware and software from the leak include:
- Android 2.1
- nVidia Tegra 2 (T20) processor - same processor as the one in Ink Notion Adam
- optional digital TV Tuner module (ATSC/ATSC-MH/DVB-T)
- 7" WVGA 800x480 px screen which is the same as Streak 5
- 4GB of DDR2 RAM - seriously? This would be huge compared to any tablet or phone on the market now
- 4GB of flash storage and an SD/SDHC/MMC (not MicroSD) slot expandable to 32GB
- 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
- Bluetooth 3.0 EDR
- a 1.3MP front-facing camera
- weight of 500 grams
- a 2100 mAh battery
- 12.75mm thin
- optional 3G and AGPS
The 7" Looking Glass is scheduled to be released somewhere around Q4 2010 (November?), according to Dell's product roadmap.
Dell's new product announcements remind me of HTC about 1-2 years ago. With a barrage of new phones and tablets coming out, Dell is really turning a new leaf with its brand name. I hope they keep the pressure up because competition is good for all of us consumers.