If you happen to be in the market for a new phone on Sprint in the near future, you might want to hold off for a couple days. TechnoBuffalo reports that the Now Network is getting ready to launch a promotion on August 12th—and continuing until September 30th—that will offer customers a free ZTE Optik tablet when they purchase any new smartphone. Yes, any new smartphone. Including the free Galaxy Nexus for new users ($99 for upgrading customers).
If you happened to pick up Sprint's newest budget-priced (but not budget performing) tablet, the ZTE Optik, then you may have awoken to an OTA update this morning. The update doesn't bring anything major, but it does offer up a few fixes that are sure to be welcome by anyone who owns this tablet:
- Google DRM solution
- Google Music
- Persistent notification after BT transfer
- Software version corrected in x-wap profile
- Sim City closes when attempting to purchase while connected to Wifi
- Sim City download issue fixed
- Response when connected to a computer via USB cable
The update should be rolling out now and finish up over the next several days.
A new tablet is coming to the Sprint network next month, though it's definitely on the budget-minded side of things. The ZTE Optik will be available to Sprint customers starting February 5th through Sprint's online store, with a brick and mortar appearance to follow on March 11th. Here's a quick breakdown on the need-to-know specs for the Optik:
- 1.2GHz dual-core processor (we'd expect TI OMAP 4430, but that's a guess - yours is as good as ours)
- 7" display (resolution unknown - we're predicting 1280x800)
- 1 GB RAM / 16GB internal storage
- MicroSD card slot
- 5MP rear / 2MP front camera
- Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and 3G connectivity
- 4000mAh battery
- Android 3.2 Honeycomb
- $99 w/ 2 year agreement, $349 off-contract
Check it out, below:
Thanks, Captain Anonymous!