If you just can't wait for the 4.2.1 update to arrive on your Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 (Nexus 4 is here), it's your lucky day. The update URL has been uncovered so you can manually update the device right now.
Just grab the matching file below, both of which clock in at a slim ~1MB. The main fix in this build is for the now-famous December People app bug. Read More
Earlier this month, we reported on a pretty big omission in Android 4.2's People app: Google forgot December. So, any birthdays, anniversaries, or other important dates you may have needed to note for that month were simply impossible to document. Now, though, it looks like El Goog is fixing that issue with a small 1.1MB update. This OTA is, of course, labeled as Android 4.2.1, and aside from the December fix, we're not sure of what else it may bring. Read More
When trying to decide on a new device, most people spend a lot of time comparing various models. How does product X stack up against product Y? Which one offers the most bang for the buck? Which is going to stay relevant the longest? There are so many things to take into consideration - it's quite an overwhelming task.
Thankfully, Sortable.com is there to assist you in the quest for a new gadget. Read More
Yeah, we know, Google goofed the Nexus 4 launch. It's a bummer. But if you didn't manage to get your order in, you can now obsessively check availability in your respective country using the Play Store Availability Checker. The site offers two view options: the whole Nexus device list for your respective country (link), or a list for a single device in all Play Store countries (link). Read More
A few days ago, developer mskip released the Nexus 4 toolkit, which simplifies the unlock/root/recovery/etc. process on the device. The same dev has now released the Nexus 10 toolkit, which does essentially the same thing, only for Google's first 10" slate. These toolkits really take the work out of doing a number of otherwise potentially tedious tasks:
FUNCTIONS OF GOOGLE NEXUS 10 TOOLKIT V1.0.0 [20TH NOVEMBER 2012]
* Install correct adb/fastboot drivers automatically on Windows xp/vista/7/8 32bit+64bit
* Backup/Restore a single package or all apps, user data and Internal Storage
* Backup your /data/media (virtual SD Card) to your PC for a Full Safe backup of data
* Unlock/Re-Lock your Bootloader
* Root Stock Jelly Bean builds (upto 4.2.0 JOP40C)
* 1-Click For All to Unlock the Bootloader, Root, Rename the Restore File and Flash Custom Recovery
* Perform a FULL NANDROID Backup of your system (Boot, Cache, Data, Recovery and System) via adb and save in Custom Recovery format on your PC which can be Restored via CWM Recovery
* Pull /data and /system folders, compress to a .tar file and save to your PC
* Dump selected Phone Partitions, compress to a .zip file with md5 and save to your PC
* Install BusyBox on your phone
* Extras, Tips and Tricks section available to all ToolKit Donators
* Auto Update ToolKit to latest pushed version at startup (donator feature)
* Program up to 10 Quickpic slots and run them very quickly (donator feature)
* Mods section to automatically perform certain tasks on your phone
* Download Google Stock Image directly to correct ToolKit folder for extracting and flashing (no need to move it manually anymore)
* Flash Custom Recovery or Google Stock Image to phone
* Rename the Recovery Restore File present on some Stock Roms
* Boot into CWM Touch Recovery without Flashing it
* Boot or Flash .img Files directly from your PC
* Install a single apk or multiple apk's to your phone
* Push Files from your PC to your phone
* Pull Files from your phone to your PC
* Dump selected LogCat buffers to your PC
* Dump BugReport to your PC
* Set Files Permissions on your phone
* Open new Command Prompt for manual input
* Reboot Phone to Fastboot Mode or Android from fastboot mode
* Reboot Phone to Fastboot Mode, Recovery, Android or Download Mode from adb mode
be detected as malicious by some anti-virus software.
Update: The Nexus 10 32GB is also in stock in the UK and Canada, too.
Not much to say here - the Nexus 10 32GB is back in stock on the US Play Store right now. If you're on the fence, no pressure - they might only be gone in an hour. Or a few minutes. Or thirty seconds before you stopped debating and clicked the link. You better hurry up. Read More
We all love Android, and we also love when Google releases a new iteration of our favorite mobile OS. Sometimes, though, even Google screws up a bit, and Android 4.2 is looking to be one of the most bug-ridden releases since Honeycomb. And, let's be honest: 4.2 isn't exactly the leap that 2.3 to 3.0 was, either. Chances are, if you're on Android 4.2, you've experienced at least one of the issues here. Read More
Wow, big day for root things on the Nexus 4 and 10, eh? First off, official ClockworkMod Recovery is now available for the pair, either directly from the CWM site or through ROM Manager, which was also updated today to support Android 4.2. While the latter can handle flashing the updated recovery, Koush himself advised users to flash via fastboot to avoid any potential issues with the process.
Koush also took it upon himself to update the Superuser application for 4.2, just until the original developer can get around to updating the official application in the Play Store. Read More
Update: It looks like the 16GB Nexus 10 is back in stock now. If you were one of the unlucky few who missed the first batch of orders, go ahead and claim yours now.
There's no denying Google's launch of its new Nexus lineup has been a little bumpy. On launch day, we saw near-instantaneous shortages of the Nexus 4 in multiple countries including the US. Shortly after the Nexus 4 sold out in the US, the 32GB Nexus 10 fell. Read More
Since the Device Frame Generator moved to Google's Android Developer site and received its new name (Device Art Generator), we've heard nary a peep about additional frames or other updates. That appears to have changed today, however – the Device Art Generator now features gorgeous new frames for both the Nexus 4 and Nexus 10, of course with the ability to toggle shadow, glare, and rotation. If you're a developer who needs a nice easy way to build promotional collateral, or just an average user who wants to create beautifully-framed screenshots, hit the link below. Read More