Google hasn't exactly had a spotless track record when it comes to official Nexus accessories. Accessories have been teased or shown off only to arrive months later or not at all (remember that Nexus 10 dock?).Read More
Update Wednesdays are always exciting, but particularly so when Google releases a new app. Today, Google has hit "publish" on Google Handwriting Input, a new keyboard option that - as the name implies - allows users to type by handwriting text in 82 languages.
Google says the app supports print and cursive, written with or without a stylus. If you draw a smiley face, Handwriting Input will even suggest emojis.
Of course the input method is styled to resemble Google's other input methods, using the same light grey and teal (or dark blue-grey and teal if you choose the dark theme) colors found in Google's main Keyboard app.Read More
OnePlus fans have been waiting for the smartphone maker to announce a follow-up to its sole device. In a report this week, Bloomberg briefly mentioned that Carl Pei's company intends to release a successor in the third quarter of this year. But that phone won't be alone. OnePlus plans to launch a cheaper alternative as well.
We've confirmed this information, so while we don't know any specifics, we can say that shoppers won't have just the OnePlus Two to pick from this year.
OnePlus sold over a million smartphones in 2014, and it plans to move between 3 and 5 million this year.Read More
Chinese smartphone maker Huawei, which has quietly become the third-largest on the planet, has a new flagship to show off. Two of them, in fact: the 5.2-inch Huawei P8 and the absolutely enormous 6.8-inch P8max. Both have been announced for a launch in "more than 30 countries," including China, Columbia, France, Germany, Mexico, Spain, South Africa, Turkey, UAE, and the United Kingdom. As usual, Huawei doesn't seem interested in selling its high-end offerings in the United States.Read More
Samsung has been experimenting with curved AMOLEDs for a long time, but only recently has it tried convincing consumers to actually buy them. It tried the Galaxy Round, and that was a failure. Then the Note Edge came out, and it was a little better. Now Korean news is reporting that the Galaxy S6 Edge with its dual-edge display is a certifiable hit, making up half of all Galaxy S6 sales.Read More
Yesterday, something odd happened...the 2013 Nexus 7 LTE got an OTA before its Wi-Fi counterpart. Thankfully, it appears that it was only a day early, as Google is now rolling out its latest Android build to the Wi-Fi only variant as well.
The OTA is build LMY47O, just like the LTE model, and weighs in at roughly 170 MB. If the update isn't available for you, fret not. We've got you covered. See below for a link to download the OTA file for manual sideloading.
razor LMY47O from LRX22G (5.0.2 -> 5.1): http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_razor/d8aa77dd9fdbd05160be70093d0fa4c847b06911.signed-razor-LMY47O-from-LRX22G.d8aa77dd.zip
We're naturally big fans of Google here at Android Police. But living in Google's world as we do, it's easy for us to see the flaws in the enormous company, and it's also our duty to point them out. One of the biggest problems with Google is that it's often terrible at providing customer service to its hundreds of millions of active users. So it is with the first major problem to pop up for Music Key, YouTube's new music subscription service.
To put it bluntly, some paying Music Key users can't access the ad-free music, background playback, and the rest of the bonus features that come with the subscription.Read More
Shortly after confirming the rumors of its talks with Alcatel-Lucent yesterday, Nokia has announced today that it does indeed intend to buy the French firm. The deal would combine both European companies' assets under the Nokia Corporation name, with headquarters in Helsinki and a strong presence in France. No cash transactions would be involved, instead the acquisition is a public exchange offer whereby 0.55 Nokia shares are offered for every Alcatel-Lucent share. The valued total amounts to 15,6 Billion Euros.
The merger has been approved by both companies' boards of directors and should be closed by 2016 if it gets the regulatory go-ahead. Once done, current Alcatel-Lucent shareholders would own 33.5% of the combined company and Nokia shareholders the remaining 66.5%.Read More
There's no more waiting for Android 5.1 if you've got a Nexus 4 or either version of the 2013 Nexus 7. Google has posted the full factory images on the dev site, meaning you can flash the new version to get up to date no matter what you've done to your device's software.Read More