So the Moto X "Lazy Phone" ads are the best smartphone-related ones out right now. They're both funny and memorable, which is basically 90% of what a commercial really needs to be a success. The remaining 10% consists of reasons to choose one product over another. The original Lazy Phone videos showed how competitors' phones could ruin a romantic night, cause you to miss taking a photo of your child's stellar performance, or be the person whose phone won't stop buzzing during a meeting.
When the LG Lucid first hit store shelves, it was one of the best mid-range handsets available at the time. It served as a shining example that a budget phone didn't have to feel like it was a budget phone. Now an OTA update is rolling out to the handset over a year after its release, further evidence that not all budget phones are destined for neglect. This new software version doesn't fundamentally change things, but it's nice to have security patches and a newer version of Google Map Services, among other things.
Google started rolling out a nifty update to Gmail with the Card UI earlier today, but since the update is staged, it may take a while to get to a device near you. Not to worry - we've gotten a hold of the APK (thanks, Kevin!) and verified it's indeed legitimate. You can find it below on several mirrors. As always, just download and install - simple as that.
The T-Mobile Moto X got it's surprise update the other day with a couple nice fixes and enhancements, and now it's Sprint's turn to get the update. It's rolling out in stages, so mashing the update button won't do any good. Not that anyone's stopping you from trying.
The software, with the easy to remember version number 13.9.0Q2.X-116-MX-17-57-1, appears to have the same changelog we got with the T-mobile update, but here it is again anyway:
- Camera – Improved Photo Quality: Improved capture of natural light (auto-white balance) and color accuracy for more precise exposure in outdoor and backlit scenes.
Manufacturers are continuously pushing out improvements to their latest products, but many of the new selling points require a minor in mathematics to keep up with. Should you get the phone that's four times faster than last year's offering, or merely two? Is a 1080p display really necessary on a 5-inch screen? Well, Samsung's planning to roll out an innovation that even non-enthusiasts will be able to pick up on. The electronics giant will launch a phone with a curved display in South Korea sometime next month, and we can reasonably expect them price it lower than their $9,000 curved OLED TVs.
Cards, cards everywhere, but not a drop to drink. Or something like that.
That seems to be Google's mantra these days, as everything is getting card-ified. Not to say that's a bad thing, because cards are clean, simple, and effective. All three of those things have been a clear goal in Android in the Duarte era, so it makes sense that cards have been so widely adopted.
Today, it's Gmail's turn.
Give Sony points for creativity if nothing else: the QX series is unlike any gadget you've seen before. These smartphone add-on lenses made a big impact (for better or worse) at IFA and now the cheaper model is available for purchase on Amazon, right on schedule. The DSC-QX10 is $248 in both black and white, but the QX100 is marked as releasing on October 15th, and shows as "out of stock" from one of the other resellers.
Back in the days of the original Galaxy S and the Galaxy Tab 10.1, Samsung was frequently accused of copying Apple at every turn (often by Apple themselves). And let's not kid ourselves, Android fans: back then, Samsung kinda had it coming. Over the last three years Sammy has been forging its own identity with unique hardware designs, massive software development, and enough money to make King Midas feel insecure. So why are they still pining after Apple like a love-struck college freshman stalking the starting quarterback?
The Galaxy Note 3 just launched today and already you can have one for your very own, as long as you don't mind paying out the nose for an unlocked unit. The 32GB Galaxy Note 3 (GT-N9000) is up for sale at $749, which is the cheapest you can get right now.
The US carrier versions of the Note 3 will be going on sale in the coming days, but this one can be used on most GSM networks.
Today is the big day – the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy Gear should be available in most corners of the globe. However, this is just the initial rollout. You can expect to see the Note 3 and Gear popping up for sale online and in shops, but carriers won't be selling them in the US for a few more days.
If you've had your eye on the big stylus-packing smartphone, be prepared to pay a pretty penny.