Owners of HTC's latest flagship on Verizon have been patiently (and sometimes not so patiently) waiting on the promised update to Android 4.4.3 for some time now, but it looks like they'll be waiting a little longer. Even though the T-Mobile One M8 got its update today, HTC's US president Jason Mackenzie has confirmed on Twitter the OTA is currently targeted for mid-September on Verizon. Read More
Update 8/18/14: The deal that quickly sold out last time is back.
A 16GB Nexus 7 might leave you tight on space, especially if you plan on playing multiple games on it, but at $129.99 this restriction can be overlooked. The tablet is again available at this remarkable price on eBay Daily Deals, and while it's a refurbished model, beggars can't be choosers when we're talking $100 off.
To make the tablet even more affordable, shipping is free. Read More
If you've been eagerly awaiting the Android 4.4.3 update for your T-Mobile One M8, wait no more: it has arrived. The update brings a slightly newer version of Android, security fixes, wireless optimizations, and updates to several stock HTC applications. If you're not able to pull the update over the air, XDA user sapplegater has uploaded the OTA to Mega.
As always, if your device is rooted this particular update might be one to skip - the ever-present "security fixes" packed in this OTA often plug up exploits that allow root access, and Android roots are becoming increasingly hard to discover as Google and OEMs refine their software. Read More
Sony's been on a slow roll lately, steadily pushing KitKat to various Xperia devices. Today marks the release of the 4.4.4 update for the Xperia M2 and M2 Dual, which also brings some additional functionality by way of Sony-specific tweaks.
- We’ve added our tweaked Status Bar and Quick Settings… now more intuitive and customisable (and pretty easy on the eye)… cleaned up to ensure you only get the notifications you really need
- If you’ve got a Sony PlayStation 4, you might recognize our new user interface – we’ve added the same sleek launch animation and live wallpaper across the lock and home screens
- Better storage choice – you now have the option to easily move applications from internal memory to SD card – we recognised the need to have more control over your content… as something particularly useful for devices with slightly less space
- We’re also uplifting Sony’s entire native app portfolio to the latest versions – bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for (to name but a few): Messaging, Smart Connect, TrackID, What’s New, and Battery STAMINA Mode, Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies
- And proving pretty popular, now totalling over 2 million downloads (!) – our unique custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”, with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select – skin up to 280 assets across your Xperia smartphone with a variety of styles…
- Compatibility with our SmartWear Experience; SmartBand SWR10 and Lifelog app – enabling you to record social, physical and entertainment activities and have them all visualised in a beautiful interface… reminisce at that past, make the best of the present and plan for the future
See? Read More
Amazon's first smartphone isn't that great, but the company is already moving to improve the experience with the device's first OTA update. This bumps the FireOS version up to 3.5.1, and includes a slew of new features and improvements:
The software version includes new and enhanced features:
Love it or hate it, the LG G3 is one of the top flagship devices of 2014. With a set of specs that will make even the most jaded Nexus warrior a bit jealous, it's no wonder that the handset has gained a few fans. Unfortunately, LG's software customizations still leave a lot to be desired, and many users have turned to rooting their phone to take back some level of control over the experience. Read More
LG would like to remind you that the G3's Quick Circle case is definitely not copying the S View case. I mean, look—no corners. As we all know circles are totally in right now, and you can get a bit more functionality out of the Quick Circle case for the G3 with Quick Circle Apps.
One of the weaknesses of the LG built-in functionality is that you need to use the stock apps, but Quick Circle Apps gives you a little more freedom. Read More
We've seen some shorter than usual product cycles as of late, but this would be crazy—The Korea Times is reporting that LG will be at IFA in early September with the LG G Watch 2. Yeah, a whole two months after the original G Watch started shipping.
We owe many thanks to Best Buy for outing the details of several products a bit before their time. It seems the retailer is at it again with a posting of the Moto 360, including a price and most of the product specs. At some time in the near future, $250 will be all that stands in the way of picking up Motorola's brand new wearable. Unfortunately, it's just listed as "Coming Soon" without any release date. Read More