All kinds of Droid 2 news floating around the interwebs the past few days. We already knew it was coming in August and replacing the original Droid, we caught some blurrycam shots a little over a month ago, and Gizmodo caught a hands on a week later. In case you’ve been AFK for the last few months, it will slot in just below the Droid X:
- 5 MP Camera
- 3G Mobile Hotspot
- 1 GHz CPU
- 8 GB onboard memory
- 8 GB mSD card installed, support for up to 16 GB
- Dark chrome color (rather than black)
- Roughly the same size as the original
As speculated last month, new reports seem to confirm that the D2 will ship with Android 2.2 (FroYo). Read More
Word at DroidLife is that the original Droid is being phased out over the next few weeks (presumably with some promotions coming to help move the last of them off shelves). This is likely in preparation for the coming Droid 2, which is coming sometime in August.
The Droid 2 will be a direct replacement for the original Droid, complete with full slide out QWERTY keyboard (whereas the Droid X has none). Read More
One of Gizmodo's readers Zack unexpectedly stumbled upon an upcoming Motorola Droid 2 at a tech show and didn't hesitate to snap some pictures and play around with this Droid successor.
Here are the main points of his review, in my favorite bullet point style, to save you some time:
- about the same size as the original Droid
- dark chrome overall color instead of the black
- feels really nice - more curves, fewer edges
- different button placement as the original, both on the outside and on the keyboard
- blue coloring around the keyboard instead of gold
- there is now a dedicated voice search button on the keyboard and the horrible d-pad is gone, replaced by cursor keys
- no more lip on the right side with phone open
- the Droid 2 name might change - Motorola reps are unsure of what it will be yet
- same 5MP camera, though noticeable faster
- most likely will come with vanilla Froyo - not Ninjablur
- 8GB internal memory, 8GB micro-SD card
- 1GHz processor
And here's Zack's full account if you want the original:
I am a summer intern at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (NASA) this summer and today there was a tech show on the lab.
In exactly a week, on June 23rd, the 4 giants of the Android world - Motorola, Verizon, Google, and Adobe are set to announce something really great, dubbed "the next generation of Droid" at a special invitation-only press event in New York.
We can only guess what the event will touch on - surely, Droid X and Droid 2 are at the top of the list.
However, noting the presence of Adobe, it makes us wonder whether something much-much bigger is coming, i.e. Read More
With details of the Motorola Droid 2 starting to find their way into the outside world, we now have photos and specifications of the new device, thanks to Droid Life!
Aesthetically, it doesn’t look like much has changed from the original Droid that we all know and love. The exterior remains mostly the same apart from the slide out keyboard, which is the only part of the device that appears to be significantly different. Read More