If you've been reading Android Police for a little while, then you've probably heard the name Chainfire thrown around a time-or-two. After all, he has delivered some awesome and useful apps like Chainfire3d and CF-Bench to the community. His latest offering to the Android Market, DSLR Controller, is probably the most impressive yet, as it allows you to control your Cannon EOS DSLR camera directly from you phone or tablet, no computer required.
I know what you're probably thinking: "...another mobile security app? Please. There are dozens of these!" While this may be true, TekTrak has a few perks that makes it an interesting and compelling choice over the competition.
Firstly, it's also available on iOS, so it's a great cross-platform solution for the entire family. It's also one of the most affordable solutions that we've seen to date, costing only $5 per year.
There are lots of applications available on the Android Market which are aimed at adults, falling into various categories from 'Productivity' to 'Health & Fitness', but you don't often see truly good applications aimed at children. There isn't even a category for children's apps in the Market!
That doesn't mean that great children's applications aren't out there, however, and The Going To Bed Book, from the same developer that released The Tale of Peter Rabbit, looks like it could be one of those great titles.
Skysoft... errr, I mean Skype updated its previously measly Android device support from 5 devices to more than 20 today with the introduction of version 2.1 of its Android app. There are no new features outside of expanded device support, which was badly needed in order for the app to climb out of the sea of 1-star reviews (although stability and quality improvements would have made today's release even sweeter).
Pocket Legends developer Spacetime Studios has lifted the VCAST-exclusive barrier on its latest game, Star Legends: The Blackstar Chronicles, and dropped the full version in the Android Market as an open beta for all to enjoy.
Star Legends is a Sci-Fi MMO that takes place in the depths of space, where you're immersed in a world of space ships, asteroid fields, and all other sorts of galactic habitats. You can choose from three different types of characters, all endowed with their own specific abilities: Commando, the rough-and-tough warrior type; Operative, a fast gun-slinging destroyer-of-all; or Engineer, a support-based character, ready to buff and heal the team.
Anyone who uses Rackspace for their hosting needs will be glad to know that the company finally released an official Android app into the Market. It allows you to remotely access and admin your servers, offering support for the US, UK and custom API endpoints, as well as support for multiple accounts.
The app also brings a lot of other useful features to the palm of your hand:
- List all Cloud Servers in your account
- Create new Cloud Servers (including from any existing backups)
- Delete Cloud Servers
- Resize Cloud Servers
- Perform Hard and Soft Reboots
- Manage backup schedules
- Ping Cloud Servers
- Rename Cloud Servers
- Rebuild Cloud Servers
- Change a Cloud Server's root password
- View and Create Cloud Files Containers
- Upload text files to Cloud Files
- Download and Preview Cloud Files
- Passcode Lock
- Detailed Error Handling: if you get an error from the API, you can see exactly what happened with an equivalent curl command to reproduce it in a shell
- Links to contact Rackspace Fanatical Support via phone or Twitter
The app is free in the Android Market - hit the widget below to grab it.
Update: Now with video from the head project manager of Google+
Google+ for Android has been updated to version 1.0.5 with a pile of usability fixes that you're going to love. Rather than list them ourselves, take a look at the changelog below:
What's in this version:
- Improved notifications reliability
- "_add to circle" notifications shown in bulk
- Share stream posts to individual people
- Clicking a +mention takes you to the person’s profile
- +mentions now autofill from your Circles
- Stream no longer resets to top when screen is rotated
- Nearby accuracy (note: we assume this means accuracy is improved)
- Start a 1:1 huddle from a person’s profile or a group huddle from a circle profile
- Hide 1:1 huddles
- Clickable links in huddles
- Improved autocomplete when adding a person to a huddle
These are all much-needed changes - many that we've heard users complain about.
Ah, LEGO... one of my personal favorite toys from my childhood. LEGO is arguably one of the best toys for children because it enables them to create and truly use their imaginations; instead of dictating what world the mind can play in, it encourages us to create our own.
So naturally when I found out that LEGO was releasing a game based on their build-a-board-game Creationary, I was a little excited.