It's April now, a solid five months or so after the Ice Cream Sandwich source code dropped. We've all been waiting eagerly for our old devices to see Google's latest and greatest. Today, on Reddit, a Verizon employee dropped some slides that detail Verizon's plans for ICS launches. Notable devices include the HTC Rezound, the Motorola Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX, as well as the premiere Google tablet, the Xoom 3G/4G.
Twitter for Android has been updated to 3.2, and brings a bevy of changes, the most important being much-needed push notifications for retweets, favorites, and new followers.
The icons at the top of the app have also been changed up, and are slightly larger (the Home icon actually looks a bit different), along with other minor UI changes. The Discover tab has been completely revamped according to the changelog, as well, which you can see below:
What's in this version:
- Updated design and improved relevance of Discover stories
- Activity in Discover tab shows who your connections follow, updates to their lists, and which Tweets they retweet and favorite
- Spelling suggestions and related searches in search results
- Username autocomplete in search
- New push notifications for when your Tweets have been retweeted, favorited, or when you have new followers
- New languages: Traditional Chinese, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish, Polish, Hungarian, Thai
Get it on the Play Store now.
Just when you thought Quickoffice was becoming out of touch with its user base (specifically, with their wallets) the company has released a fairly major update to its two main Android apps.
Specifically, both Quickoffice Pro and Quickoffice Pro HD were today updated to version 5.5.32. The update brings more than a number bump, though; here's the official list of new features:
** PDF ***
- Add/edit/remove comments
- Select text and highlight
- Insert shapes
** DOCUMENTS ***
- Display charts in .docx
- Edit line spacing
- Create and edit tables
** PRESENTATIONS ***
- Insert numbered lists
- Display groups of items
- Duplicate slides in PPTX
- Insert and rotate extended set of shapes
** IN SPREADSHEETS ***
- Move, resize and delete charts in spreadsheets
- Update charts when referenced data is changed in spreadsheets
Though the press release, interestingly enough, is not to be released until next Monday, the updated apps are available now.
Back in late March, Sony announced that it would indeed be bringing Ice Cream Sandwich to the Tablet S and the funky little Tablet P. True to its word, the rollout has already begun for the former.
The update brings several new features to the 9.4-inch slate:
- Enhanced lock screen
- Direct access to Notifications
- Unlock direct to camera
- New panoramic camera mode
- Enhanced Gallery media viewer
- Direct SD card access + photo editing tools
- Exclusive “Small Apps’ for multi-tasking
- Calculator, Browser, Remote Control
- Move to screen edge for reduced clutter
- New Home Screen actions
- Drag icons together to create folders
- Add names to folders
- Enhanced web browser
- Switch from mobile to desktop web sites
- Save pages for offline viewing
- Access files directly from SD card
- Native screenshot capture
- Press “power” and “Volume –“
With the release of ICS, Sony is also offering a $50 discount and a free desktop cradle to anyone who picks up a Tablet S between now and May 12.
Minecraft, the wildly popular online creativity toy, has also had a pocket version of itself in development for a while. Up until now, though, you could only really mine. As of today, though, Mojang, the company behind the game, has released version 0.3.0 that finally includes (and you may want to sit down for this one) crafting!
Up until this point, you've been able to scavenge around for materials, but if you wanted to do anything with them, you're stuck.
ASUS just started pushing yet another update to the original Transformer (TF101) that brings a handful of enhancements:
- Improves system stability
- Improves email stability
- Improves AppBackup App
- Improves MyLibrary stability
- Supports Wi-Fi Direct
- Supports unzip in File Manager
- Add restore tab function in Browser
Some users reported that the update hit their device last night, but it should be rolling out in full force beginning today.
To see if the update is available on your device, head into Settings > About tablet > System Firmware Update > Check Update.
Update 4/23/12: This update is now rolling out OTA (thanks, Kristopher and others).
It's been a bit of a disappointing ride for the Droid RAZR and its beefier brother over the last few weeks - first, we were told that the ICS update was to start rolling out on April 4th, but that didn't happen. Instead, Moto was going to start a soak test of a new enhancement build, but...