You don't have to know what DVR is to recognize the name TiVo, the company that became synonymous with the word. The company's products have allowed users to return to previous shows and watch them on their own schedule since long before Netflix and Hulu came around to help people cut the cord.
The TiVo Android app has grown a little dated over the years, but the company has invested some time rebuilding the software from the ground up. Read More
TiVo customers are accustomed to convenience. That's the fundamental premise behind recording TV shows for later, after all. Sure, it sucks to miss a show because it came on during a time when you were busy, but that's more of an annoyance than a problem. The latest version of the Android app addresses a similar annoyance--being restricted to whichever room the big screen is in. After quite a wait, customers are now free to stream TiVo content and live TV directly to their mobile devices. Read More
Virgin Media TV customers in the UK, you can now watch your TiVo live television service or recorded programs on your Android device, anywhere! Anywhere with a WiFi connection, that is. Assuming that you've got a phone or tablet running Android 2.3 through 4.3, but not KitKat 4.4. Oh, and you can't be rooted. Have fun!
All kidding aside, there seem to be some serious issues with Virgin's new TV Anywhere app for Android, starting with the aforesaid KitKat support. Read More
Look, the TiVo apps may not be the best on the market (their 2.5 star ratings speak pretty loudly), but that hasn't stopped the team from putting together a generous new update for both the phone and tablet apps that brings support for Android 4.2, along with a handful of other new features.
Among those, the Away Mode functionality has been improved, giving users more control while they're on the go. Read More
Back in January, Tivo released its official Android app, but it was designed specifically for phones. Now, the company has released a version designed for tablets. With this fancy new remote control sorcery, you can do a number of things from your Android tablet, including:
- Browse the channel guide without interrupting the show you’re watching - View shows up to 14 days in advance
- Schedule TV show/movie recordings and ongoing (Season Pass®) recordings
- Browse your recorded shows list and play a show from the App
- Find exactly what you want to watch - Search across TV, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video & Blockbuster —and see integrated results on Demand to find what you are looking for
- Explore cast and crew while watching a show
- Comment about what you’re watching on Facebook or Twitter
- Use a TiVo remote control replica or our intuitive, gesture-based remote control
- Manage your ongoing (Season Pass®) recordings and your To-Do List
- Delete and reprioritize recordings for your favorite shows
- Instantly schedule, search and browse for shows while you’re away from home
And you get all of this digital magic or the low, low price of nothing. Read More
Along with a software update to the TiVo Premiere DVR, Margret Schmidt VP of TiVo User Experience tweeted the release of their first Android app:
This comes as great news to TiVo owners as it allows them to control their DVRs from the comfort of their Android 2.1+ phone or 7-inch tablet (the app description makes particular reference to "7-inch tablet"). Read More