Earlier this month, a Samsung Galaxy S3 exploded inside an 18-year-old girl's pants pocket, leaving her with a pretty nasty third-degree burn on her thigh. It really happened, and the burn is real, but Samsung's not responsible. The company has concluded that the battery used in the device was not the original. Scientists at the Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Testing and Research in Dubendorf, Laboratory have confirmed Sammy's findings. According to them, the battery was not supplied by Samsung, nor did it come from a company authorized by them.
There are no reported incidents of foul play here. Read More
Phones can explode. It's not a common occurrence, and it is more likely to happen when a device is being misused in some way, but it's still not outside the realm of possibility for a device to harm someone who was using it precisely as intended. An 18-year-old woman in Switzerland was badly burned this week when a Samsung Galaxy S3 exploded in her pants pocket. The incident took place while the woman was at work, and her boss had to tear off her pants in order to help her. Pictures are available, and one's pretty graphic.
Samsung is investigating the matter, and what is left of the phone will be sent to Korea for analysis. Read More