Just days after Kaz Hirai teased the world with talk of Sony's future in smartphones, tablets, and the PlayStation brand (all without confirming or denying the existence of a PlayStation phone), Chinese site IT168 has posted an in-depth review of the engineering version that they managed to get ahold of. Not only is the PSP Phone very real; from the looks of it, the device is almost ready for prime time.
Earlier today, Engadget broke an exclusive regarding Sony-Ericsson’s work on an Android gaming handset that is currently “in the late stages of planning.” There have been rumblings of a PlayStation phone for quite some time, and it seems like this device may be Sony finally delivering on those long-standing rumors.
According to Engadget, the device will feature:
- 3.7-4.1” WVGA screen
- 5MP camera (may not be final)
- Slider-phone design, but instead of a QWERTY keyboard, a gamepad
- Gamepad will have:
- Touchpad for directional controls instead of joysticks
- A standard D-pad,
- Standard PSP buttons
- Shoulder buttons
- “Likely” to have a 1GHz Snapdragon Processor
- Mostly black chassis, some silver highlights (looks like a Captivate crossed with a PSP Go)
- Will run Android OS “Gingerbread”
- Phone-specific software skin
- Will have access to a new and exclusive Android Market Games section
- Game titles will include some PSX oldies, as well as newer PSP games
Mockup Created By Engadget
Engadget has speculated the device and the new Android Market Game “ecosystem” could be available as early as October.