So, you've invested a chunk of change in a Motorola XOOM and you want to make sure that it stays in one piece, right? Otterbox has come to the rescue to fit that bill perfectly with the new Defender case for the XOOM. In typical Otterbox fashion, this case is made to protect your device from drops and other mishaps, while adding a bit of functionality and style. It features a "high quality polycarbonate shell" that snaps around the outside of the tablet, with a silicon skin that hugs the shell to absorb impacts.
An interesting little tidbit came across to us in an otherwise ordinary posting on Amazon's app developers' blog. While developers will have the option to use DRM or not in their apps, those that do use the digital licensing service may present problems for those users who are temporarily without an internet connection.
Comparing it to the way Amazon currently handles the storing of Kindle books, the curious part of the post reads:
This article deals with a couple of advanced topics. If you’re unfamiliar with some of the terms, hit up our primers here:
- Rooting Explained + Top 5 Benefits Of Rooting
- 8 Great Apps Every Rooted Android User Should Know About
- Custom ROMs Explained And Why You Want Them
- How To Fully Back Up And Restore Your Android Phone Using Nandroid Backup
- How To Flash A Custom ROM To Your Android Phone With ROM Manager + Full Backup & Restore
The folks from Trident Cases were nice enough to send me a review unit of their brand new Trident Cyclops for the HTC EVO 4G. I must say, after putting this case on and using for a few hours, there are several reasons that this is my new favorite case, and I'd like to do some show and tell.
My first impression of the Cyclops was actually a direct result of its packaging.
Have you ever seen one of those annoying comments on the Android Market promising the riches and all the Android apps in the world for a low-low monthly price of $10? Sites like that pirate paid games and apps off the Market and then distribute them illegally, pocketing all the revenue. That's modern day warez at its finest.
Whether it was because of Android's openness or Google's notoriously poor focus on the Market, no DRM or licensing protection was available in the SDK for developers to utilize; so unless you rolled your own licensing scheme from within the app (which had a side effect of circumventing Google's payment system and therefore netted developers a whole lot more than 70% rev share), your app was easily "piratable".
What is WaveSecure?
Have you ever wondered what you would do if your precious Android was lost, or even worse, stolen? Here is where WaveSecure steps in and provides you with more tools than are probably necessary in either scenario. WaveSecure allows you to:
- Remotely lock your device to prevent its use
- Remotely track your phone’s location via WiFi location, GPS, or cell towers
- Remotely wipe your phone’s call log, sms/mms messages, contacts, and SD card
- Remotely view call/sms activity on your phone via automatic backup system
- Backup your SMS/MMS messages, contacts, and call logs to your WaveSecure account