MyGlass, the Google Glass companion app, has just hit the Play Store. Since no one actually has a pair of Google Glass yet, no one actually knows what this thing does. To save myself from going crazy while waiting for my Glass email, ripping apart this new app seemed like a good distraction.
The package name is "com.google.glass.companion," and, naturally, this release is version 1.0.0. MyGlass has a decent amount of permissions, here are a list of the most important ones:
- Access Wi-Fi and Bluetooth (ACCESS_WIFI_STATE/ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE/CHANGE_WIFI_STATE)
- Google Voice Send and Receive permissions
- Full account access (GET_ACCOUNTS/USE_CREDENTIALS/MANAGE_ACCOUNTS)
- Receive and send SMS and MMS
- Full location access (ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION/ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION)
- Full internet access
- Read contacts
So basically, it's a tethering app - a tethering app that Glass appears highly dependent on.