With over 3800 entries from Facebook, Google+, and Twitter (in order of popularity), it's now time to conclude the 7th "special edition" giveaway and announce the winner of the brand new Droid Bionic, the lapdock, the HD docking station, and the Webtop adapter.
Before I move on to the winner, selected at random, I'd like to thank Android Stack Exchange for providing the prizes and an excellent platform for asking and getting quick answers to all your Android questions. Read More
They say that a smartphone is only as good as its accessories, and if that's the case, then the Bionic must be among the best. (Okay, they don't really say that, but everyone loves extra stuff for their phone.)
We've taken a look at what Moto has to offer in way of extras for its new flagship, and decided to put together a list for those who may be new to Motorola devices, or perhaps Android in general. Read More
Yep, you read that right - we're giving away a DROID BIONIC, and it's not even out yet (well, it will be in less than 24 hours), courtesy of the awesome folks over at Stack Exchange. Why? Because we want to help supercharge Stack's amazing Android Q&A site, Android Stack Exchange.
Android Stack Exchange, a child of the StackOverflow family of sites, is sort of like a dedicated Android Q&A Reddit + Wiki + FAQ for answering all your questions about everything Android. Read More
Last week, Moto and VZW started pushing the Gingerbread update to the original Droid 2, and now its global counterpart is getting the same treatment. The update officially started rolling out in phases earlier today, bringing many new features along with it:
- New download manager
- App and power management details
- Multi-touch key-chording
- Improved word selection and copy functionality
- New UI and color scheme (read: new Blur)
- Updated dock icons
- App grouping
- Increased device and SD card security
- Updated calendar
- Improved email and messaging
- New ActiveSync email policy
You can also expect improved stability, battery life, and connectivity, as well as new bundles apps (bloatware) like Google Books, Accuweather, Amazon MP3, Blockbuster, and Flash Player 10.2. Read More
The @DroidLanding Twitter account has awoken once more, this time with news of an ongoing DROID Bionic scavenger hunt:
In previous VZW Twitter contests, the @DroidLanding account would tweet out the coordinates of a hidden smartphone and participants would hurriedly scramble to the location lest someone claim the prize before them. With this latest scavenger hunt, however, VZW has upped the nerd factor and brought an augmented reality-based Android game into the mix:
The app lets users 'build' four virtual Bionics before sending them off to a nearby location. Read More
During his time on-stage at the Salesforce.com Dreamforce conference, Eric Schmidt (Chairman and former CEO) of Google said that the company's purchase of Motorola is about more than just patents, as has broadly been claimed.
We did it for more than just patents. We actually believe that the Motorola team has some amazing products coming....We're excited to have the product line, to use the Motorola brand, the product architecture, the engineers.
Apple has a long history of being ironic, and not in the positive sense of the word. Their latest bout of ironic shenanigans: accusing Samsung and Motorola of being "anticompetitive." Frankly, this is such an outrageous accusation that I just don't know where to start with it.
- First off, a little history: as Daily Tech points out, Steve Jobs famously said "We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas." What changed?
It has been quite a while since we heard anything about the Gingerbread update for the original Motorola Droid 2 (not Global), but it looks like VZW and Moto finally finished it up and it has received the stamp of approval, as it's rolling out in OTA fashion as I type this.
- New Download Manager
- App and Power Management Details
- Multi-touch key-chording
- Improved word selection copy functionality
- New UI and color scheme
- New dock icons
- App groups
- Improved security
- Improved battery life while using Wi-Fi
- Fixed issue that caused frequent data connection drops
- Mobile Hotspot status is displayed accurately
- Improved email application
- Correct contact name is displayed when receiving SMS messages
- Emoticons are displayed in messages
- Forward SMS message conversations accurately
- Notification LED will flash when new message is received
- Access My Verizon without any force close errors
- Compass calibration within Google Maps syncs accurately with your location
- Geo-tagging features available for camera applications
- Clock widget updates time correctly
- Callback numbers now populate in Dialer app
- GPS apps and programs no longer cause unnecessary device resets
- Google Books is now preloaded
- V CAST Apps is now preloaded
- V CAST Media Manager is now preloaded
- Blockbuster® movie rentals license remains active after download
- Keypad backlight turns on in darker settings
- Improvements in screen display no longer causes display screen to turn black
- Fixed issue that caused factory resets when the device’s mobile number is changed
- Fixed issue that caused device reset and a black display screen after over the air upgrades.
A recent report from ComScore indicates that as of July 2011 82 million Americans own smartphones, with Android running on 41.8% of those devices, iOS on 27%, BlackBerry OS on 21.7%, Windows Phone on 5.7%, and Symbian on 1.9%.
The survey clearly indicates that significant gains have been made by Google and Apple at the expense of RIM, Microsoft, and Nokia.
Additionally, the survey also looked at the market share of hardware manufacturers and interestingly Samsung was well ahead of the rest with 25.5% market share. Read More
Since Verizon still wouldn't officially give up the upcoming Droid Bionic's release date, all we've had to chew on so far were rumors of the September 8th release date here and there (the latter was then discredited as an unofficial account by VZW, so it really has no credibility anymore).
To throw another rumor into the fire, one that seems to corroborate all the previous rumors, today the folks at Droid Attic dug up what seems to be an image of Best Buy's internal system showing the Bionic in stock on September 7th. Read More