Material Design was the driving force behind a Google+ update that began rolling out on Friday. But while there may be a newer look, there's very little to speak of in the department of functional changes. Naturally, I had to poke around to see if there were any surprises buried underneath the fresh coat of paint. As it turns out, there are a few things worth talking about. It's time for a Teardown!
What's in this version:
- New feature: Google+ Communities
- Support for full resolution photo uploads via Instant Upload
- Subscribe to any circle for notifications
- Support for time zones in Events
- Basic profile editing
- Integration with Google Now to send birthday wishes to friends
- Support for animated GIFs
- Express your mood via animated images in posts
- View and explore Photo Sphere images (Android 4.2+)
- Add the Google+ widget to your device’s lock screen (Android 4.2+)
Google has been pretty consistent over the last several months about bringing new features to its up-and-coming social network.