On September 14, Sprint revealed that an update to Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) was rolling out for the LG Optimus S. Seems like a good thing, right? Not so fast, actually - it turns out there are some fairly substantial bugs that weren't worked out before rolling out the update. Sprint is aware of the keyboard issue but has yet to acknowledge the other problems users seem to be experiencing, such as issues charging and using USB storage. Read More
Yesterday, we started receiving reports that the official Gingerbread update (reportedly version 2.3.3) for the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate on Rogers is finally here.
The update isn't showing up on Rogers' own website yet (under the Support tab), but if you go through Samsung's Kies upgrade software (go here, click Support, then Download), you should find it sitting in plain view, itching to jump over to your device.
Galaxy S users, if you've upgraded, let us know how it went and if you experienced any issues. Read More
Yeah, we know -- it has only been three days since we leaked Gingerbread build 2.11.605.2 RUU for the TBolt, but how could we say no when our homie Justin Case from TeamAndIRC asked us if we want to drop a newer leak?
We couldn't. So here you go -- Gingerbread Build 2.11.605.3 for the HTC ThunderBolt. The installation process is basically identical to the previous leak, so if you've already flashed that, then this should be a breeze. Read More
Owners of the Samsung Galaxy S 4G on T-Mobile or the Samsung Infuse 4G on AT&T have been waiting quite a while to leave Froyo behind and move into the world of Gingerbread. While Sammy and AT&T or T-Mobile have yet to drop the flag on an official OTA for either device, the good folks over at SamFirmware have released leaked versions of Android 2.3.5 for both devices.
Since these are leaked, there's not much of a changelog floating around, nor is there any indication of whether or not this is a final build. Read More
At the beginning of the month, HTC announced that it would be bringing Gingerbread to the Droid Incredible and ThunderBolt. While that promised has been fulfilled for the former, there's been nary a word of the status of the update for the latter. Until now.
Thanks to our anonymous tipster known only as Pig Benis, we have an official Gingerbread RUU hot of the presses for the HTC ThunderBolt.
Our tipster isn't positive if this is the final build or not, but considering it's so close to the end of the month, it is very likely.
Sprint's LG Optimus S may be a budget Android device, but apparently that isn't going to stop Sprint and LG from providing Android updates going forward. Today, Sprint announced via its Community Forums that an update to Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) is rolling out to some devices beginning today, with all devices being updated within 10 days. Read More
HTC Merge users on US Cellular, your day has come. Forget about Froyo, aka Android 2.2, and zoom straight to the latest version of Android available for non-Nexus phones - 2.3.4 "Gingerbread" (HTC version 3.10.573.1 to be exact - the image below taken from the update guide is outdated).
The update will need to be applied on a computer using HTC Sync and will wipe your device clean of emails, contacts, calendars, apps, bookmarks, and any other personalization - it'll basically be back to stock. Read More
Well, what do you know? Looks like Moto hasn't forgotten about the R2-D2 variant of the Droid 2 after all. We've seen the Gingerbread update come and go for the Droid 2 and Droid 2 Global, and now it's time for our little robot themed friend to join the party.
The update brings all of the same features and enhancements of the original Droid 2, and should be hitting devices starting today. Read More
Last week, Moto and VZW started pushing the Gingerbread update to the original Droid 2, and now its global counterpart is getting the same treatment. The update officially started rolling out in phases earlier today, bringing many new features along with it:
- New download manager
- App and power management details
- Multi-touch key-chording
- Improved word selection and copy functionality
- New UI and color scheme (read: new Blur)
- Updated dock icons
- App grouping
- Increased device and SD card security
- Updated calendar
- Improved email and messaging
- New ActiveSync email policy
You can also expect improved stability, battery life, and connectivity, as well as new bundles apps (bloatware) like Google Books, Accuweather, Amazon MP3, Blockbuster, and Flash Player 10.2. Read More
It has been quite a while since we heard anything about the Gingerbread update for the original Motorola Droid 2 (not Global), but it looks like VZW and Moto finally finished it up and it has received the stamp of approval, as it's rolling out in OTA fashion as I type this.
- New Download Manager
- App and Power Management Details
- Multi-touch key-chording
- Improved word selection copy functionality
- New UI and color scheme
- New dock icons
- App groups
- Improved security
- Improved battery life while using Wi-Fi
- Fixed issue that caused frequent data connection drops
- Mobile Hotspot status is displayed accurately
- Improved email application
- Correct contact name is displayed when receiving SMS messages
- Emoticons are displayed in messages
- Forward SMS message conversations accurately
- Notification LED will flash when new message is received
- Access My Verizon without any force close errors
- Compass calibration within Google Maps syncs accurately with your location
- Geo-tagging features available for camera applications
- Clock widget updates time correctly
- Callback numbers now populate in Dialer app
- GPS apps and programs no longer cause unnecessary device resets
- Google Books is now preloaded
- V CAST Apps is now preloaded
- V CAST Media Manager is now preloaded
- Blockbuster® movie rentals license remains active after download
- Keypad backlight turns on in darker settings
- Improvements in screen display no longer causes display screen to turn black
- Fixed issue that caused factory resets when the device’s mobile number is changed
- Fixed issue that caused device reset and a black display screen after over the air upgrades.