Last Updated: March 9th, 2011
Today I put on my wizard Darth Vader math hat and decided to figure out when the Android market is going to finally reach the 100,000 mark.
"Why 100,000?" you may ask.
Well, it seemed like a nice round number, and it also happens to be the same number a small company called Apple was obsessing over in November 2009:
CUPERTINO, California—November 4, 2009—Apple® today announced that developers have created over 100,000 apps for the revolutionary App Store, the largest applications store in the world.
The iPhone App Store launched on July 11th, 2008, so putting it all together, it took Apple 481 days or about 16 months to conquer 100k.
Last Updated: May 12th, 2010
Yesterday was an incredible day for us consumers! After only the first day of the 3-day CTIA Wireless 2010 mobile conference we've already seen some amazing new phones scheduled for release in the upcoming few months, such as the HTC EVO 4G.
Samsung did not remain on the sidelines either yesterday and demonstrated its new version of the Galaxy, called Galaxy S model GT-I9000. S seems to stand for either "Smart Life" (sigh, another custom Android flavor?) or Speed, just like the iPhone 3GS.
Here are the specs at a glance:
- 1GHz Hummingbird CPU
- a 4" Super AMOLED screen, which is supposed to be 20% brighter and eliminate 80% of sunlight glare, 480×800 resolution
- 5MP camera
- 720P video recording and playback - no word on HDMI output
- 1GB internal storage
- 8-16GB MicroSD card included, expandable to 32GB
- 512MB RAM (?)
- WiFi b/g/n - not just B/G but N too, impressive
- Proximity, light, gyro sensors, digital compass, GPS
- Bluetooth 3.0 A2DP + EDR - 3.0 here, not 2.1, we have progress, people!