Amidst news that Google has adopted a new logo (and everything that comes along with that), Sundar Pichai let slip that Google is joining the likes of Microsoft, Amazon, Netflix, and others to form the Alliance for Open Media (AOM). The organization's goal is to collaborate on open and royalty-free digital formats for "next-generation ultra high definition media." In other words, it will develop new image, audio, and video codecs and container formats that are totally free for non-commercial and commercial use.
The Alliance’s initial focus is to deliver a next-generation video format that is:
- Interoperable and open;
- Optimized for the web;
- Scalable to any modern device at any bandwidth;
- Designed with a low computational footprint and optimized for hardware;
- Capable of consistent, highest-quality, real-time video delivery; and
- Flexible for both commercial and non-commercial content, including user-generated content.
Google's office suite in the cloud can handle a number of Microsoft's Office formats, a necessity born from the sheer entrenchment of the competition. The search giant isn't bitter though. Rather than shun the task of working with the various file types out there, it has added support for converting 15 more. The list includes less common formats spread across Docs, Sheets, and Slides.
Newly supported Microsoft Office formats:
- Google Docs
- Google Sheets
- Google Slides
- pot, potx, potm, pptm, pps, ppsx, ppsm
After converting the documents, you're free to edit them as you would any other. Read More
OfficeSuite Pro is one of the more powerful collections of productivity software for Android (and Cameron's personal favorite). Today it's getting just a bit better by adding several new features, including the ability to print via Google Cloud Print, convert text documents to PDF files, spell-check, and compatibility with SkyDrive.
Here's a complete list of what's new:
6.5 New Features:
- Print - print documents with Google Cloud Print or previously installed third party printer
- Convert to PDF - convert your text documents to PDF files
- Spell-check (based on Google ICS spell-check)
- New supported formats - opening of XLSM, PPTM, PPSM and DOCM formats
- Thumbnail preview in Slideshow mode
- Animated Slideshow -support for animated slideshows
- Embedded images & charts (in Excel module)
- Now compatible with Microsoft SkyDrive
- WiFi Direct support
Although, some of the new additions may be having some problems. Read More