In case you somehow haven't heard, the just-officially recalled Galaxy Note7 has been having some battery troubles - troubles that are leading to people and things getting burned. To differentiate the explosion-prone and revised Note7s, the Korean company is changing the color of the battery indicator in the status bar from white to green. Read More
Samsung and the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) have just announced an official recall of the Galaxy Note7 in the US. This news comes after statements last week that Samsung and the CPSC are working together to issue a formal recall and reports that Samsung is limiting the batteries of Note7s in Korea to 60% via an OTA update. According to the CPSC, 92 reports of batteries overheating in the US have been received. This is out of an estimated one million units sold. Read More
A week ago, Samsung officially announced a global recall of the Galaxy Note7 as a response to several units that had exploded while charging. People had mixed opinions about how Samsung was handling the recall. Consumer Reports, for instance, criticized Samsung for not handling it through the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), which is a government agency that handles official recalls of consumer products. Now, Samsung has voluntarily decided to work with the CPSC on the Note7 recall. Read More
Earlier this month, a Samsung Galaxy S3 exploded inside an 18-year-old girl's pants pocket, leaving her with a pretty nasty third-degree burn on her thigh. It really happened, and the burn is real, but Samsung's not responsible. The company has concluded that the battery used in the device was not the original. Scientists at the Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Testing and Research in Dubendorf, Laboratory have confirmed Sammy's findings. According to them, the battery was not supplied by Samsung, nor did it come from a company authorized by them.
There are no reported incidents of foul play here. Read More
Phones can explode. It's not a common occurrence, and it is more likely to happen when a device is being misused in some way, but it's still not outside the realm of possibility for a device to harm someone who was using it precisely as intended. An 18-year-old woman in Switzerland was badly burned this week when a Samsung Galaxy S3 exploded in her pants pocket. The incident took place while the woman was at work, and her boss had to tear off her pants in order to help her. Pictures are available, and one's pretty graphic.
Samsung is investigating the matter, and what is left of the phone will be sent to Korea for analysis. Read More
Remember last month when an innocent user's Galaxy SIII was said to have spontaneously combusted? In the original post, user dillo2k10 told a harrowing tale, explaining that during a seemingly average drive, his S3 got a little too hot:
…suddenly a white flame, sparks and a bang came out of the phone. I pulled in to look at my phone, the phone burned from the inside out. Burned through the plastic and melted my case to my phone. The phone kept working but without any signal.
I brought it to the carphone warehouse and they told me that they couldnt replace it for me that they had to send it off to be checked out first.