eBay's Android app has left a little to be desired, especially considering that their mobile web app is pretty serviceable in and of itself. Today's update brings a slightly refreshed user interface, a few bells and whistles in the alert system, and a desperately needed revamp of the checkout process. Phones and tablets running Android 2.1 or later can download the app, but don't expect the UI to scale.
The Reminders function is probably the most useful to hard-core eBay users, or at least, those hardcore users who don't already have email alerts set up. Read More
When eBay updated its Android app to v2.0 about two weeks ago, many users were experiencing serious issues with the new version. eBay quickly pulled the update, and went back to the drawing board. Now the new version has returned. And yes, they kept the absolutely terrible asphalt background in the eBay Motors section.
Here's the changelog, which contains all of the improvements of the original 2.0 update:
- Find cars, trucks, motorcycles as well as compatible parts and accessories with the mobile-optimized eBay Motors experience (US only, more countries coming soon)
- Improved My eBay list access
- Simplified navigation throughout the app
- View bidding history on an item
- Add up to 12 photos when listing an item with the app
- Users in Italy and Spain can now list items with the app
- Payment support for Malaysia and Singapore
The app seems to be working fine now, as well, so go ahead and update away. Read More
Update 2: eBay has acknowledged the issue, and given a statement:
By now, you have probably noticed that we experienced an issue with the latest version of our Android app. As a result, we have temporarily replaced the latest version with the previous one. We value our customers and regret any inconvenience. Delivering the very best shopping experiences to our customers is our goal – anywhere, anytime and on any device.